The waiting has begun

Help Support CattleToday:

thommoos

Reaction score
I put my Gelbveih in on 4-19-2014 with the my beefmaster girls. So the expected first calve date should be 1-27-2015, give or take a couple days. I have 2 that have started the vulva swelling, heavy discharge, started bagging, but not swollen, tail hanging to the side. So any day now in the hopefully next week.

Is there a sign that I am missing so that I can be even more ready? past history on one of them has been bag so swollen for 2-3 days before she could hardly walk.

I tell you I am just about to :banana: , I just can't wait to see this cross hit the ground.

I found that about 6 hours before calving, the tendons on the side of the tailhead will relax, and often the area between the hips and pins will appear sunken.
I am not sure, but I think those muscles are affected (or affect?) the dilation of the cervix...

I also find they get fidgety, kick at the belly, look at their butt, and MMmm a bit.

Seems like my beefmaster cows take forever to go on and have their calves. They show all the signs that it could be any minute, but it might go on like that for a week or more. They all make huge bags. Do not know why they are so slow. Good luck with yours.

We have a beefmaster cow that waits that long as well. I've been thinking she was going to have a calf for a month now. She has big bag and swells up HUGE and I mean HUGE never seen one swell like that. This will be the 2nd calf out of her though she is a great momma.

I've got about six weeks to go before they start and I get wound up pretty tight with anticipation and watching when it's close.
What really gets my attention and keeps it though is the "pump handle tail" while the fidgeting is going on.

I have a lot of cows that take *forever* to do it.. a lot of SH crosses seem to be bad for it.

I think Gelbvieh over Beefmaster could be interesting (and good) :)

I have Mega due in 5 weeks, the rest start in 7 weeks or so. I've seen the baby bump on Mega's daughter already. Hope she doesn't write a check her arse can't cash!

most all of my beefmasters wont show any signs of being ready to calve.they surprise us with calves as we are checking cows.our calving is moving fast 23 calves in 30 days.

Five calves since the first, but lost a dink that I was getting ready to put in the freezer. The dink had bad feet so I kept her close. Spent a couple days helping a friend get his stock ready for the Fort Worth show. It figures she goes down when I am gone. Coyotes had already been on her so unexplained reason. Oh well the kids and grandkids could stand to lose a little weight .

Update- Nothing except swollen tail ends.
134 looks like she beginning to do something
[imghttp://ranchers.net/photopost/data/500/134.JPG?660][/img]

But not quite bagged enough
photo6.JPG

Colorful , the calf ought to pop out easy

photo_colorful.JPG

yesterday
134_-1.JPG

Side shot
colorful.JPG

Nesikep":ahrxgvbp said:
I found that about 6 hours before calving, the tendons on the side of the tailhead will relax, and often the area between the hips and pins will appear sunken.
I am not sure, but I think those muscles are affected (or affect?) the dilation of the cervix...

I also find they get fidgety, kick at the belly, look at their butt, and MMmm a bit.
I've got one that her tendons were soft on friday I couldn't feel them at yesterday and still no calf

Up date # 2 just calved, Looks like a bull calf. Little bitty thing, maybe 50 lbs soaking wet. Nursing well will try and get picts in the AM.

Latest posts