The First Big Ride

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
That is always the one that answers a lot of questions about a horse. The short rides, when you are just getting them going of course indicate what you have under you, but it isn't until you take them out for that first "big" one, into tricky terrain and where you are more than a mile from home, where you really know what you have. And, I have to say that I am impressed. This time the horse was my 3 year old Hanoverian x mare that I started lightly last summer (before I got hurt). She had about 3 rides on her last summer when I got laid up. Just enough that I thought she might be a little broncy. Turned out that I was basically wrong, she seems to be more of a thinker than a reacter. Take for example, this

DSC03693.jpg

Quite a hill for a flatland horse ;-). I was a little uneasy going into it, but she handled herself like a pro. A little difficult too, since the hillside was covered with juniper, and rather slippery. But there were no tense moments at all. We went on to finish checking some fence, and make sure the gate was up and then moved the cows. All in all we had a really good day.

Today was her second big ride, but this one a little different, down the ditches. Where you have to contend with traffic (and most people don't slow down) and big SCARY round bales, and of course huge TERRIFYING gopher and badger mounds. And to top it all off a unnerving whitetail had to jump out on the way back. We crossed the creek numerous times, a couple dry ones and then a watery one. And she sure has forward down. She isn't one that you have to constantly prod to move. More that you have to constantly be pulling her up. Rediscovered that a lope is pretty hard to sit when the horse is constantly dodging one way or the other. But no huge spooks until the whitetail jumped out. All in all a couple pretty good, promising rides.

Many will fool ya. My Idiot is turning out to be the best. He is the yearling that charged me a couple times when I first got him. I have been on him about 15 times now. The last time was at the farm. He had been out to pasture for two weeks while I worked fence and other repairs. Finally on my last day there I caught him, saddled him, stepped up on him, and never moved a muscle. Off to the back pasture we went and a place he had never been (only his third ride out of the round pen). He did great. One little hitch was he bowed up on me while trying to let him build up speed. Right when I put the heels to him. Other than that I am quite satisfied with his progress.

I think the more you get them out like you did the better they will get.

flaboy?":3kq587ge said:
I think the more you get them out like you did the better they will get.

They learn a lot when they are out there in the big wide world. They have to learn to think, and they also get used to different things popping up near them. I think it makes for a more settled horse in the future. I will do more riding out in the open this summer, and then this fall she will go into the stockyards when the calf run starts up. That will fine tune her, teach her to move off my leg, and to sidepass and what not.

You can teach her to move off of your leg and side pass in a round pen. In my opinion, riding in new and open spaces is interesting to them. They enjoy it and they learn and get to see so much and so many more obstacles than you could possibly put in front of them during formal training.

Just a question for Randilana - where did you get your HannX mare? I have bought many horses from Doug & Deb King up your way - they have 4 real nice Hannoverian stallions that they cross up on TB and draft xTB mares for some real nice colts. I have a 5 yr old gelding by their Hannoverian stud out of a Percheron x TB mare. He's fantastic - alot more sensitive that you would think - he's doing great at baby jumpers - but still likes his "time off" riding in the mountains too!

Latest posts