The Fallen Sparrow

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
A sparrow caught my eye as I was going into the optometrist on the eave of a roof right over my head. The bird was laying on its side. It was fluttering, I though maybe preening itself.

When I came out, it was dead on the concrete. Died and fell off the roof. I bent down and saw its eyes were closed. It was still and totally at peace.
2djnupe.jpg

The Fallen Sparrow

Who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
And all the Virtues of Man without his Vices.

callmefence":3dt5am56 said:
I found a dead calf in the cedars this morning.....made my wallet hurt.

[URS=http://s723.photobucket.com/user/fenceman1/media/KIMG3764_zpsapv31ygl.jpg.html]
KIMG3764_zpsapv31ygl.jpg
[/URL]

I hate that. Any idea of cause?

callmefence":2ol5x3kw said:

[URS=http://s723.photobucket.com/user/fenceman1/media/KIMG3764_zpsapv31ygl.jpg.html]
KIMG3764_zpsapv31ygl.jpg
[/URL]

I can relate completely. Found a cow and calf dead last Monday afternoon. And while I'm not positive, I think the buzzards killed the calf after he was born. The cow was upside down in a dry creek bed about 2' deep. Nature of the beast but it's tough to swallow. Always a good young cow too.

JMJ Farms":bnssr7rd said:
callmefence":bnssr7rd said:

KIMG3764_zpsapv31ygl.jpg
[/URL]

I can relate completely. Found a cow and calf dead last Monday afternoon. And while I'm not positive, I think the buzzards killed the calf after he was born. The cow was upside down in a dry creek bed about 2' deep. Nature of the beast but it's tough to swallow. Always a good young cow too.

I'm pretty sure the 45 degree temp drop got this one. I had treated it for a bad case of pneumonia a couple months back. I'm sure there was lung damage already. The huge change in weather finished it..... you can't lose em if you ain't got em.

callmefence":uevg600h said:
JMJ Farms":uevg600h said:
callmefence":uevg600h said:

KIMG3764_zpsapv31ygl.jpg
[/URL]

I'm pretty sure the 45 degree temp drop got this one. I had treated it for a bad case of pneumonia a couple months back. I'm sure there was lung damage already. The huge change in weather finished it..... you can't lose em if you ain't got em.

It's a miracle I haven't lost all of mine. The weather has been outrageous. I called the vet today about doing pelvic scores on the 12 month old heifers. The office assistant said it would be next week before he was available. Pneumonia is epidemic she said.

Bright Raven":3gt6qtsx said:
callmefence":3gt6qtsx said:
JMJ Farms":3gt6qtsx said:

It's a miracle I haven't lost all of mine. The weather has been outrageous. I called the vet today about doing pelvic scores on the 12 month old heifers. The office assistant said it would be next week before he was available. Pneumonia is epidemic she said.

Thanks, I needed something else to obsess over.

TennesseeTuxedo":1nx2h7ll said:
Bright Raven":1nx2h7ll said:
callmefence":1nx2h7ll said:

The weather is totally out of normal. We are having an extreme spring in the fall.

Bright Raven":1ok80pts said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1ok80pts said:
Bright Raven":1ok80pts said:

The weather is totally out of normal. We are having an extreme spring in the fall.

Stop it, you're scaring me.

Found an older bred cow dead this afternoon. One of the "bought ones" and got some age, but no noticeable reason. Just part of it. Have been having calves left and right. But got another cow that looks like she might have a bad hip , maybe stifled. Got to go across some wet ground to go check on her tomorrow.
Gonna take 6 calves off some old cows to market friday and the cows are going to a buyer who will pay on the rail. Figured we would try that as the cull cow market is way down, mostly in the 30's and some 40's. Got 7 going as one had a dead premie and as she has some age, she won't be getting bred back. Rail prices are about $1.00 lb hanging if they hang at least 400 lbs, 80's if lighter; have to have decent flesh. We'll see. Can't hurt to try it these are in decent flesh but not too fat.

Weather here has been crazy too. Supposed to get down to 30's and possible frost the next 2 nights. Maybe we will start to have some "normal" temps. But still wet. Sun today, but had over 2 inches rain in a week. These 3 and 4 tenths of cool misty showers are the worst.

One of my nurse cows has gone nuts, won't take any other calves this time. She now has some mastitis, and so I decided she can raise her calf and she will take a ride whenever I decide to sell the calf. Probably spring, so she is being treated like any beef cow; the calf is 1/2 angus so will at least do some growing. Don't know what her problem is but she has flipped her lid not wanting to take other calves this time. I have a lead on 2 guernsey heifers that are supposed to be 6 months pregnant for $500 each. Sure can't raise them for that. They sold a nice 1st calf holstein heifer just fresh at the monthly dairy sale for $750. Holstein heifer baby calves are going for $20-30 each. Giveaway prices. Jersey bull calves $10.

If you have "livestock", your gonna have "deadstock".

Bright Raven":27kytmjj said:
TennesseeTuxedo":27kytmjj said:
Bright Raven":27kytmjj said:

Yep, I had to postpone my yearly seal clubbing trip a month

While the kids were hunting they ran into a leppy calf. They described it to me. I told the neighbor. He said that he thought that calf died. He had treated it three times and it didn't have much in the way of lungs left. The next day the kids saw that calf again but it was dead that time. You win some and lose some.

callmefence":picavz9f said:
...you can't lose em if you ain't got em.
This was my late pa in law's favorite saying. Verbatim.

Weather has been crazy here as well. 91 yesterday. 87 today. 73 tomorrow and 40 this coming Saturday night. I may have to get the dart gun ready.

Dave":3vdln6xh said:
While the kids were hunting they ran into a leppy calf. They described it to me. I told the neighbor. He said that he thought that calf died. He had treated it three times and it didn't have much in the way of lungs left. The next day the kids saw that calf again but it was dead that time. You win some and lose some.
Buck off a few, and a few get rained out.

ga.prime":2af7uawp said:
Bright Raven":2af7uawp said:
ga.prime":2af7uawp said:
You sure that's a sparrow and not a warbler?

I was not absolutely sure.
Your poetic stanzas are good either way. :D

Those stanzas are from a tribute to the death of a dog. Lord Byron:

Near this spot are deposited the remains of one who possessed beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man, without his vices. This praise, which would be unmeaning flattery if inscribed over human ashes, is but a just tribute to the memory of Botswain, a dog.

Jogeephus":14tbx2nb said:
Bright Raven":14tbx2nb said:
TennesseeTuxedo":14tbx2nb said:

Yep, I had to postpone my yearly seal clubbing trip a month

No problem.
Val, Burt and Earl went in your place.