The Cemetary Field

Help Support CattleToday:

TN Cattle Man

Reaction score
I know that the subject line is fairly odd but as I was cutting hay yesterday I was thinking quite a bit about the farm and all the different fields that we have. Does anyone else on here name their fields?

I was cutting the Cemetary Field last night, roughly 40 acres and as you might have guessed it has a cemetary in it. I also refer to it as "The Proving Grounds" due to the unique shape of it as well as the rougher/steeper terrain. This is one field that will beat you down if you don't know how best to work it!

Some other fields that we have named... Church Field, Battle Bottom, Big Hay Field, Creekside, Hunters Ridge, Backside, and on and on...

Anyone else name their fields? Any stories behind the names?

Brian

Just "the east side", which is everything East of my pond. Just beyond that, is a little stretch I left untouched along the river for wildlife to be able to move back and forth. It's between my easternmost fence and the river--call it No Man's Land. Grown up in vines, tanglefoot, briars from hades, and has big ravines in it as well as fallen trees from 2 hurricanes. I haven't been on it in over a year--only about 8 acres but seems a lot bigger when you're trying to find your way thru it.
I heard a pack of dogs back there raising cain one night, drove across the east side to see who was hunting on my property and realized they and their dogs were in No Man's Land. Finally saw their headligts on their hats and heard 'em just a cussin--then "Hey, there's a fence over here and an open area--we gotta get out of this mess" Them 2 boys came out of there looking like they'd been whipped with razor blades.

greybeard":2kibx2ch said:
Just "the east side", which is everything East of my pond. Just beyond that, is a little stretch I left untouched along the river for wildlife to be able to move back and forth. It's between my easternmost fence and the river--call it No Man's Land. Grown up in vines, tanglefoot, briars from hades, and has big ravines in it as well as fallen trees from 2 hurricanes. I haven't been on it in over a year--only about 8 acres but seems a lot bigger when you're trying to find your way thru it.
I heard a pack of dogs back there raising cain one night, drove across the east side to see who was hunting on my property and realized they and their dogs were in No Man's Land. Finally saw their headligts on their hats and heard 'em just a cussin--then "Hey, there's a fence over here and an open area--we gotta get out of this mess" Them 2 boys came out of there looking like they'd been whipped with razor blades.
Sounds like a couple of places that I've deer hunted in Southern Ohio!!

Got the "Lower Place", the "Canon Place", and the "Bell Place". Lower place is a field down in a bottom. Others are named after previous owners.

Windmill (there was one in living memory), Camp (lived there in a tent when I first came here), Swamp, Frog (has lots when they're around), PW (Paddock With ... two holes three steers fell in and a few other incidents), Mushroom (hasn't grown any for years), Bush Flat, Small Hill, Pines, Big Back, Middle Back, Back Barn (another absent feature which existed once, long ago), House and then there are some numbered flat paddocks.

A friend came to look after the cattle while we went away for a week last year and commented on all these names. His place is all just numbers. It's funny how different people think of their land.

On the place here at home we have the thorn field, the bottom fields, the hay field and the calf fields. Then we have the place where I grew up and it's the old place. Then most of the others go by the name of the road or the area they are in.

TN Cattle Man":eexudecd said:
I know that the subject line is fairly odd but as I was cutting hay yesterday I was thinking quite a bit about the farm and all the different fields that we have. Does anyone else on here name their fields?

I was cutting the Cemetary Field last night, roughly 40 acres and as you might have guessed it has a cemetary in it. I also refer to it as "The Proving Grounds" due to the unique shape of it as well as the rougher/steeper terrain. This is one field that will beat you down if you don't know how best to work it!

Some other fields that we have named... Church Field, Battle Bottom, Big Hay Field, Creekside, Hunters Ridge, Backside, and on and on...

Brian

Just don't start calling it 'The Pet Cemetery" :shock:

We have the three corner piece, the Blackberry field, the front field, and the long field to name a few.

If you don't name them how do you tell people where your going to be?

Oil Field
Osborn
Grandpa's
Hodge
Gooseneck
Pueste
Gerald Dean
Brant's Field
Myrtes
Hay Pasture
Hay Field
Cross the creek
Cross from the bin
Bin
North Woods
Have quite a few names.

Chris H":2e74itoe said:
TN Cattle Man":2e74itoe said:

Brian

Just don't start calling it 'The Pet Cemetery" :shock:
No worries there!! The cemetery is where the original landowners are all buried. Most graves are dated around the mid 1800's. The newest grave is an infant that died at birth and it is dated 1924. Sometimes when I start thinking about how rough I have it, I visit the cemetery and wonder how tough they must of had it! Looks like if you made it to 50 years old back then you were an old man.

back then when you were thirty you were an old man....now thirty year olds are mostly still kids who don't know how easy they have it....

My Dad says when he was a kid they made a big deal of it if someone reached their 50th birthday. There were lots who didn't.

Maples
Wheatfield
Pines
When I was a kid we had one called "milking house bars", sheep pasture, meadow etc...

I've numbers all of my pastures, but we have nicknames for them. Its funny how some names stick for generations.

All of our fields have numbers, except one. Sally's pasture (was number 5), because my 29 year old mare, Silly, is buried there. There is a cross on the tree next to her spot, marking a very sad event in my life. I owned her since she was just a yearling, so many great years with her.
Near our house we have the bull pasture, where we keep the developing bull calves (about 3 acres), and the heifer pasture (about 4 acres), where we keep the show heifers, and the sacrifice pasture, where we over wintered cattle last year because of the drought and no grass so they were fed hay in a small pasture to prevent further damage in the remaining pastures.