The Big Storm

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
Everyone I've talked with, people that have been around awhile. Township and county snow plow operators. Never seen anything like it. Town had 24 inches, put the truck in low gear and go. Going East of town 3-4 miles the trucks came to a halt. These trucks are some powerful beasts but could NOT handle the snow. Now using Cats, Pay loaders, skidsteers, and road graders. Some say 3ft plus with 10 inches of water in it. So heavy and wet, its like making a huge snowball in front of the machine.

sounds like everyone needs to just stay holed up till the storm passes.i feel for you being in that weather.

OMG! Now where are you at AND is coming my way??!!??

Michele

Mnmtranching I hope all your babies are OK. :(
And here I am b@tching about all the snow and sleet we have been getting this past week. I have never seen so much foot rot cases in my entire life. There is a new case pretty much every day :help: .

I hope that your weather clears up soon.

hillsdown":2c679d7l said:
I have never seen so much foot rot cases in my entire life. There is a new case pretty much every day :help: .

I haven't seen one of their hooves since last fall! :shock:

We got 22 inches of the wet stuff. Just north of us they got 33 inches. :help:

The weather folks have us in a winter storm watch. Could be from 6 to 10 more :cry2:

MistyMorning":24p44uwb said:
hillsdown":24p44uwb said:
I have never seen so much foot rot cases in my entire life. There is a new case pretty much every day :help: .

I haven't seen one of their hooves since last fall! :shock:
:( Have faith spring will come.

We got 22 inches of the wet stuff. Just north of us they got 33 inches. :help:

Holy Schmoly that is a lot of snow I hope you guys are OK.

The weather folks have us in a winter storm watch. Could be from 6 to 10 more :cry2:
Stay safe and I hope all your babies are OK as well.

Hope you all are ok. We got missed this time. Digging out sucks! They say there could be more headed this way. My dad took off for north of Remer today, called and said he can't believe all the snow! Hunker down and stay warm I am praying spring comes soon. For you all it will be the 4th of July before you can put the snow removal equipment away! Take care.

That's sounds rough! There ya'll are pushing snow and we are down here swatting hordes of skeeters. Bullfrogs are going to get fat this year for sure.

We're still clearing out snow. Worst thing, We had a bug run though the calves. Yesterday treated all with scour boluses. The few worst cases got electrolytes and energy supplements. Very much better today. Lost one calf in the storm. The thundersnow came so heavy it buried the young ones where they lay. I was running around the 5 acre lot, quickly uncovering every lump I came across and plowing trails with the Bobcat.. Sometimes the lump turned out to be a calf, but most of the time just a clump. I was about 15 yards from the lost calf. It got down in a muddy puddle, snow drifted over, and died on the spot. Found it today a bit of black hair showed up in the melting snow. But, for the most part all is well. Oh :!: another Winter Storm warning tomorrow night. :shock: :help:

Wow mnmt! that really stinks! Just checked the radar and there is a huge red blob over Oklahoma :shock: We are at winter storm warning now with 8-14 inches of new snow and 30-35mph winds! It is April isn't it?

Idylglade, did your Dad go to an auction North of Remer today? If so, I was there. :D

Hard to think of snow now, I was out reparing fence yesterday and the buffalo knats had a fiest, and I was the main menue.

Cal

Yup Cal, them and heel flies. I guess next week I'll get the haybine out and give her a once over. About time to start cutting hay.

MM that red blob over oklahoma is rain .an lots of rain let me tell you.we got 4.5in of rain from tues nite to weds morning.an as i type this its rained hard for an hr or so.no telling what will be in the gauge this morning.

bigbull338":1h5eb83d said:
MM that red blob over oklahoma is rain .an lots of rain let me tell you.we got 4.5in of rain from tues nite to weds morning.an as i type this its rained hard for an hr or so.no telling what will be in the gauge this morning.

BB...did you get any of the severe weather last night? Dallas/Ft. Worth had lots of 18 wheelers turned, trees uprooted and buildings and cars damaged. We got about an inch of rain but I never even knew it til this morning. Just slept right thru it. Guess that comes natural when you start getting old. :p

we are still here TB.but the wind kicked up some during the nite.but not as bad as it hitt the DFW area.we did get another .8 rain during the nite.so that 5.3 in of rain for this last run of rain.i bet it blew some limbs off of trees or trees down.got some limbs i need to pull off the fence.

TexasBred":22i4btk9 said:
bigbull338":22i4btk9 said:

BB...did you get any of the severe weather last night? Dallas/Ft. Worth had lots of 18 wheelers turned, trees uprooted and buildings and cars damaged. We got about an inch of rain but I never even knew it til this morning. Just slept right thru it. Guess that comes natural when you start getting old. :p

We've got trees down all over this neighborhood. There's only 16 acres here at the house and it looks like I didn't lose any. 80 mph winds and little ole marble size hail, so no damage from the hail. Cattle trailer blown forward 10 feet or so and bent the crank jack that needed replacing long ago anyway. I hear there were some barns lost near by too but I haven't been by there. It can't be much of a loss since the biggest spread in this neighborhood is only 30 acres and all the barns are small.

I'll get down to the farm this afternoon and see what happened there and some of the rest of the county.

backhoeboogie":2arpyyyb said:
TexasBred":2arpyyyb said:
bigbull338":2arpyyyb said:

We've got trees down all over this neighborhood. There's only 16 acres here at the house and it looks like I didn't lose any. 80 mph winds and little ole marble size hail, so no damage from the hail. Cattle trailer blown forward 10 feet or so and bent the crank jack that needed replacing long ago anyway. I hear there were some barns lost near by too but I haven't been by there. It can't be much of a loss since the biggest spread in this neighborhood is only 30 acres and all the barns are small.

I'll get down to the farm this afternoon and see what happened there and some of the rest of the county.

I didn't even look at the barns today before I left. Maybe I had better do that...

I don't think we got that kind of wind. No hail at all. Just a nice, steady rain and some winds. I needed it. Garden was getting dry.

Lammie":vjdp4aqh said:
I didn't even look at the barns today before I left. Maybe I had better do that...

I don't think we got that kind of wind. No hail at all. Just a nice, steady rain and some winds. I needed it. Garden was getting dry.

My grandson closed the door last night. He didn't close it completely. When the wind hit the door came open and closing it was like closing it against a fire hose. I got soaked. The floor was soaked and I mopped up the water with a towel. Tornado sirens started blasting and the little hail was rattling windows and door. We lost power intermittently. That was about 3 a.m. Power came back on and I started watching the squall line on T.V. They said, "winds in excess of 80 mph" here and it lightened up as it headed east to DFW. The airport only had 75 mph winds with no purple on the radar. About 4:30 I went to the bathroom and came back down the hall to see a little chihuahua weeny dog cross sitting in the recliner. He had apparently came in at 3 a.m. and I never noticed the little fella as I ran to the shut door. The lights were off then. The storm had passed so I let him out with no problems. He had a green collar and there's no telling who he belongs to.

There a little 8 by 12 drop shed for bottle calves that we move around here as we move the cow or calves to different lots. It has a steel frame with bracing such that you can lift it with the tractor or backhoe. Usually it gets blown down and into trees or the fences. This time the corners were anchored with T-posts driven down into the limestone on a rocky patch. It is still setting. Think I'll leave those T posts insitu for the next time it goes into that lot.

Just a typical spring storm here. Breckenridge was hit with a tornado. Hopefully Turner Seed didn't suffer. If so there'll be lots of folks in a bind for seed. They supply the state and many others of us.

So it rained dogs at your house? Where are the cats?

It would about scare the pee outa me to see some taco bell dog sitting in my living room at four in the morning... Poor thing. You should have let him spend the night. I have a weakness for stray dogs. That might explain my choices in men... :oops: