The Best Genex sire???

Help Support CattleToday:

LRAF

Reaction score
In your opinion what is the best overall most balanced Angus sire Genex has? Just curious as to opinions.

3 that come to mind depending on what you are looking for are Resource, Innovation and Thunder.

I like Innovation. Sampled him last year and bought more this year. I'm also using Angus Valley. I haven't used Thunder or Resource

Connealy Right Answer gets my vote. He's a well proven pathfinder sire with a high accuracy proof

top 1% $W and isn't that what cow/calf production is really all about?
top 10% calving ease
-.5 bw .97 acc so you won't get stuck having to sell good bulls at a discount because birth weights are too high.
sc 1.12 with top 5% hp = fertile daughters and that's what puts you on the road to pathfinder status.
Docility top 10%
$B top 40% not impressive, but it is above average and about what should be expected from a well balanced sire
$F top 5%
top 35% cw and daughters are about breed average for mature height and weight

I don't see how using him would hurt anyone, he's about as good as it gets among well balanced sires.

Right Answer is very popular here. I sampled him as a young sire. I have daughters and have sold bulls. A lot of my cattle have final answer influence in them.

I think one of the most overlooked bulls is Conneally Insure. His calves show more growth than his epds predict and has good numbers otherwise. I have a nice daughter here with her second calf now and she is performing very well in my opinion

Of the current Genex sires we have used:

Cedar Ridge - great calving ease, calves are deep and wide but very moderate. If your selling at weaning not your best pick if you want excellent calving ease he would work.

Density - used him one year I have heard his daughters work really well but I felt his calves were a bit light in the britches.

Final Answer II - haven't used but used his clone and like the daughters and the sons.

Pioneer - still using him I like him, not as smooth through the shoulder as some but the daughters are making some really nice cows.

Priority - have the first calves on the ground so the jury is still out. At this point the calves seem a bit posty for my taste.

Resource - My pick of what we have used from Genex. I just like the calves they make bulls or heifers.

Like I said these are the only bulls out of the line up that I can say we have experience with.

gizmom

I've always heard Bismark is hit and miss I've never used him.

I have a problem choosing just three.

SAV Resource is the hottest bull but a -4 CEM is a concern...you have to include him on the 3 Most Popular list on eye appeal alone...however, I will cross him off my list to add SAV Ten Speed. My reasoning is 'What's the point of having epds?' if you ignore them every time you see a bull with eye appeal? (I think Angus epds are the most reliable of any breed based on the sheer number of animals and the many years of data).

You have to include Bismarck because he seems to be popping up as a sire of dams (Thoroughbred term).
Connealy Black Granite is an example. Bismarck fixes CEM problems and is very high HP and CED.

I have to include Thunder for the same reason with added thickness...CED, HP and better DOC.

I left out Upward because it seems he has passed the torch to Plattemere Weigh Up.

My dark horses are J Edgar Hoover, Western Cut, Whitlock, Chisum and West River. also, seeing good reports on Fortitude.

So, I am a contestant in the Definite Maybe Sweepstakes. Now I need a herd large enough to try all these bulls.
If Final Answer were still alive he would be in there, too.
Just for the record I would struggle to choose only 3 Select Sires bulls as well.

My three top Genex bulls in no particular order: S A V Bismarck (used him more than any bull the last few years and his heifers are easy to sell); Connealy Right Answer 746 (great calving ease, heifers turn into great cows, usually use him on first-calf heifers); PA Fortitude 2500 (basing this on only two calves from this spring, but one of the two is the best calf I have had at his age in several years; my A.I. tech has also heard great things about Fortitude from several of his big ranch clients and they're using him again because they really like him). I also used S A V Density when sexed female semen was available on him and his heifers are also very nice, though his calves come big. Two Genex bulls that I have been disappointed in are S A V Priority (had a steer and a heifer born last year and they are pretty plain looking as yearlings; it's a small sample size, but won't use him again based on this) and Connealy Irish (again, a small sample size, but his calves aren't very impressive to me).

So the Bismark calves, what stands out about them. Like I stated before I've heard they are hit or miss. I had a friend who used him and he was not pleased, although it may have been from the dams side that made them undesirable.

For me, the S A V Bismarck daughters are quiet and docile and easy to work with, I like the calving ease factor, they seem to be deep bodied with good capacity, and they have very good udders and teat size. They also grow well, maybe better than his WW and YW EPDs might indicate. I've read on this forum in the past that some have said they have had feet and leg issues with Bismarck offspring, but I have not experienced that. I'm a small breeder, but I never have trouble selling my Bismarck heifers because those who have bought them in the past find out they turn into very good producing cows. I only wish Genex still had female sexed semen available for him.

LRAF":166rnfij said:
So the Bismark calves, what stands out about them. Like I stated before I've heard they are hit or miss. I had a friend who used him and he was not pleased, although it may have been from the dams side that made them undesirable.

They do tend to be hit or miss but grow on you as time wears on. The feet are less than desirable in my experience, in fact he is the only bull I have seen produce feet issues in our herd.

Connealy Thunder gets my vote. He isn't as powerful as some bulls, but he has sired some tremendous daughters across the country, as well as several popular sons. His progeny slick off well and from the ones that I have seen to date, they have good feet.

gizmom":19z6zkh0 said:
Final Answer II - haven't used but used his clone and like the daughters and the sons.

I thought Final Answer II was a clone of Final Answer? Are you using Final Answer II or the clone of Final Answer II? What is the name of that clone? :cboy:

Latest posts