!@$# that hurt

Help Support CattleToday:

Man, I hate to see that. I don't know what is going on but my family has been having all kinds of weird medical things this winter. One of my brothers got out of the Van of his Maintenance Truck, thought he put it in park. As he got out, it rolled back, the door knocked him down, and he went under it. It rolled up onto his chest and drug him 10 feet before it hit a park bench and stopped. It looks scary but it could have been his head!!

Years ago I was drivin' a star bit through a basement wall and did something similar to my finger with a 3lb. hammer. Blood was runnin' down my hand and dripping on the floor. Never missed a beat of the hammer.
The guy I was workin' for asked, "Don't that hurt."? I answered, "Hell, yes. But if I quit now, I'll never get this hole through the wall".
Broke my finger, went to the doc after a couple of days. He knew me, I refused a splint, told me that if I do something that made my finger hurt, quit doing that. Never missed a day of work. BTW, I'm paying for stuff like that as I get older. gs

plumber_greg":3blpmh3a said:
Years ago I was drivin' a star bit through a basement wall and did something similar to my finger with a 3lb. hammer. Blood was runnin' down my hand and dripping on the floor. Never missed a beat of the hammer.
The guy I was workin' for asked, "Don't that hurt."? I answered, "be nice, yes. But if I quit now, I'll never get this hole through the wall".
Broke my finger, went to the doc after a couple of days. He knew me, I refused a splint, told me that if I do something that made my finger hurt, quit doing that. Never missed a day of work. BTW, I'm paying for stuff like that as I get older. gs
Mine were beyond repair to the point where they just nubbed them off below the knuckle and pulled enough skin up to make enough to sew over the top of the bone. I took one vicodin at the hospital and threw it back up and did the rest without drugs. I was back at work on the same machine in two days by choice and would have gone back sooner if the vicodin hadn't made me so sick. The worst part was training my brain not to use those fingers. For two years I could scratch my head with a finger that I didn't have and the itch would stop. :shock: I spilled a lot of coffee on myself before I learned to think before I drink as I always stuck my fingers through the hole a certain way.

Got my boner finger in a miter saw when I was a 16 yr old kid
I have the perfect 45 degree angle missing right off the end
One of the guys I worked with carried me to the doctor and they stitched it and clean it up
They sent the bill to my boss but he told them to send it to me, it wasn't him they treated

Damn The bad luck! I allways just ell myself " you wanted to be a cowboy!" Like Cross said " rub some dirt on it and get back in there! ;). I pray you heal fast buddy.

melking":1rg2t3g2 said:
Sends a chill down my back just to see it.....

Yup... got a little sick and queasy as well... :frowns: Don't know what it is, but I can take injuries to just about anywhere else and the blood don't bother me but if me or anyone else tears up a finger or two like that and I'm likely to get faint!!

Crushed my hand between a headgate and top post on the headgate one time... nice half-circle gash in the palm of my right hand right up between the little finger and the one next to it. 'bout passed out, spent quite a while with my head between my knees trying to NOT let it go completely black on me!! Went to Dr couple hours later and got it stitched up.

Your pic brought up some bad feelings!! LOL Hope it heals well and fast for you!

OW!
Hope that heals up quick and clean.
Gotta admit that made my hand hurt..

Just looking at that photo makes my finger throb in sympathy. Looks some better between pic 1 and 2, keep taking care of it. Hope the nail grows back right. My mom lost her nail on her big toe and it was never right after that, sorry to say. She ended up having it permanently removed.

Boy are you lucky! Hubby tried to split his thumb lengthwise with a table saw. Broke the bone on the end and took 7 stitches to close. Looked like hamburger. Of course I'm taking pictures to share!

I'd say some choice words after that!, I've done it enough times but never seem to learn... I have gotten good at taking care of it though.. Maybe Plumber_Greg can back me up on this... Teflon plumbing tape... the BEST for stuff like that, just dont wrap it tight as it'll cut the circulation, but it seals nicely, it's under a buck a roll, it's waterproof, and it WILL NOT STICK!.. If I have to continue doing heavy work, I will put some electrical tape on it, otherwise not. Best part is I usually have some not too far from where I mutilated my finger.
I'm sure there've been plenty of times when I *should* have had my fingers stiched... but I never did and they're all fine... nothing has ever gotten infected either... That's the other thing that's never far is the iodine bottle! The new stuff I'm getting from the vet is non-stinging, and I'm liking that a lot... Veterinary use only my arse!

Ouch. Just seeing your pictures makes my thumb hurt. Couple of years ago I was heeling and got my thumb in the coils. My hubby made me go to the ER even though I could move it just fine and only had a small cut. They said the bone was like a jigsaw puzzle so the dirty SOB's took my nail off and stitched it up. Hurt like a dirty bugger. They made a bigger mess than I did but it healed just fine so maybe they knew what they were doing.

A.Lane":h7489scx said:
Ouch. Just seeing your pictures makes my thumb hurt. Couple of years ago I was heeling and got my thumb in the coils. My hubby made me go to the ER even though I could move it just fine and only had a small cut. They said the bone was like a jigsaw puzzle so the dirty SOB's took my nail off and stitched it up. Hurt like a dirty bugger. They made a bigger mess than I did but it healed just fine so maybe they knew what they were doing.

That's what they did when they sowed mine up
Took a pair of needle nose pliers and pulled the finger nail off
That hurt worse than getting it in the saw

I sure feel for ya. Hand injuries ain't no fun.

This un happened when I was 12. Gate shut on it.
55ff113418f38f6471f5ef0d96dc6a4f.jpg

This un happened when I was 16. Knocked the nail around the skin under the bone and broke it in 8 pieces.
fef00a4c3ed475b3c8f761efaadc8b9f.jpg

This un happened when I was 20. I was aiming for his nose and he ducked. I hit his forehead and shattered my hand resulting in the scar, here us a metal plate and 5 screws in there you can see the top of the first screw in the pic.
45544ae6c31e5fc812b2b33cc4684262.jpg

How do you get your hands that clean? I know you're a workin' man, no matter what others say. My fingers and fingernails only get that clean when I am able to take a vacation and spend a few days playing in the ocean and pool. gs

plumber_greg":1cplg2gw said:
How do you get your hands that clean? I know you're a workin' man, no matter what others say. My fingers and fingernails only get that clean when I am able to take a vacation and spend a few days playing in the ocean and pool. gs
I licked the dirt, grease, and afterbirth off just for that picture.

Isomade... who is "he" that ducked? I'm a southpaw and have the same injury on my left hand when "she" ducked... it was a cow I was laying into to try and get into a crowding pen and she wasn't having any of it.. when she ducked, I changed my swing and came down over her eyebrow. Never did get it looked at and managed to finish the rest of the hoof trimming that day, but boy that arm was weak. I made a splint for it and it's healed fine, though I have a lump there.

Nesikep":2td3dluw said:
Isomade... who is "he" that ducked? I'm a southpaw and have the same injury on my left hand when "she" ducked... it was a cow I was laying into to try and get into a crowding pen and she wasn't having any of it.. when she ducked, I changed my swing and came down over her eyebrow. Never did get it looked at and managed to finish the rest of the hoof trimming that day, but boy that arm was weak. I made a splint for it and it's healed fine, though I have a lump there.
Late night poker game. "He" didn't realize I had a temper and should never be allowed to consume tequila under any surcumstance.

Hey Cal, you know that could have been much worse............it could have been my finger. But seriously, I hope it heals quickly without any permanent problems.

One of my bil's had a thumb ripped off in a rodeo accident several years ago and I still get cold chills thinking about it. Hope your finger heals quickly!

Latest posts