TH and PHA

Help Support CattleToday:

RockinM

Reaction score
I currently have Limousin cows and was thinking of breeding to club calf bulls. Alot of the good bulls are TH pos. What are the drawbacks. Any other suggestions for good club bulls on Blk. Limi cows?

Thanks for any help.

Andrew

don't think you will have a problem with the limo cows but offspring could be carriers. Not a problem if your not keeping them as breeding stock and I think it's pretty cheap to have them tested if you are going to keep them.I would just breed to clean bull if it were me.That way you don't breed problems for yourself or others.I think there is alot of info at showsteers.com on th & pha including the status of many clubby bulls.

Sullivans used to bred a bunch of limmy cows to clubby bulls you might see what their doing, it's been a few years since I paid much mind to the club calf world.

I tend to agree. As a responsible stockman why would you want to breed to a bull with a known genetic defect? When we used to breed to club bulls it took a lot of research to find a bull that wasn't a carrier and that we weren't going to inbreed. This is primarily caused by a bull being popular and people using his offspring for breeding. A lot of popular bulls are related to a lot of other popular bulls. Right at the beginning of the TH rise we had a PB shorty cow that aborted twins that were TH positive. What a sight to see tell you what. My opinion, find a clean bull.

Latest posts