Texasmark, Texasbred... grazing sugarcane aphids

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
Anybody heard of any precautions with grazing
Off hay grazer with sugarcane aphids present.
They only seem to be in mature grass with full grain. I wouldn't think nitrates would be a issue. PA test is negative. Any input appreciated

callmefence":1xwdc1m5 said:
Anybody heard of any precautions with grazing
Off hay grazer with sugarcane aphids present.
They only seem to be in mature grass with full grain. I wouldn't think nitrates would be a issue. PA test is negative. Any input appreciated
If you feel comfortable about the nitrates the aphids shouldn't hurt a thing. If the grain is already hard most of it will pass through the cattle anyway and probably germinate. :nod:

My experience with them was in July a week or two after removing the first cutting which came away clean. They invaded the regrowth in it's early stages in about it's second week or so. Can't comment on grazing as this was a hay patch. However, the excretions from them that fall from them being under a leaf onto the leaf below is really sticky and gooey. In a heavy infestation, which can come in a New York minute, I wouldn't do it. My opinion.

Update: Got my SS off the patch as of July 17 with no Aphids. Immediately prepared soil for fall planting. Had a few volunteer plants emerge as happens after tillage. Was out yesterday and noticed some of the very sparse SS plants, about a foot tall by now had heavy infestations. What's funny is the neighbor has about 30 acres in solid, mature JG and didn't see any on it. I'm North of him too which is funny since Aphids come up from the South and they are said to enjoy JG as much as SS.

On turning cows into Aphid infested fields, I personally wouldn't do it. Just looking again at the plant and results of infestation; non nutritional dying plant, bugs present and that horrible gooey complete coverage of lower leaves. No thanks.

Texasmark":3dcz3qrm said:
Update: Got my SS off the patch as of July 17 with no Aphids. Immediately prepared soil for fall planting. Had a few volunteer plants emerge as happens after tillage. Was out yesterday and noticed some of the very sparse SS plants, about a foot tall by now had heavy infestations. What's funny is the neighbor has about 30 acres in solid, mature JG and didn't see any on it. I'm North of him too which is funny since Aphids come up from the South and they are said to enjoy JG as much as SS.

On turning cows into Aphid infested fields, I personally wouldn't do it. Just looking again at the plant and results of infestation; non nutritional dying plant, bugs present and that horrible gooey complete coverage of lower leaves. No thanks.
Let the cows decide. If they eat it there is a reason.If they won't eat it, no problem. Aphids are strange. They will infest a field of milo yet not touch a field of corn growing right beside it.....much like grasshoppers will strip a field of corn yet not touch a field of milo right beside it. Beats me.

I took about two hundred small squares off the field. Just because I had barn space. The cows have been on the rest since the 15th. They love the aphids. The honeydew covered plants must taste good.
Strange thing here is I only see them in plants with a pretty good stalk. Young leafy plants are unaffected. Same in new regrowth. Seems The best remedy is to cut it or graze it when they show up. :2cents: