Texas?

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
I have a lot of friends on the CT board from Texas. The last couple of years have been murder on them with the lack of rain and subsequent hay shortage. From what I can tell, y'all have been getting some fronts come through and rain. Is it looking any better?

The past two years every hay baler here has hauled hay to Texas, and not for exactly cheap prices. I was hoping that our Texan friends would have enough rain to improve things.

???

Cypress I have had enough rain to fill all the stock tanks and the creeks are running again.
We have been luckier than most of the state our drought status has been downgraded from exceptional to severe. Head west it starts looking more grim quickly when you look at the stock tanks and creeks. Besides destocking we have had an exceptional mild winter here so far and the rye grass has went nuts saving hay. Looking at the long range predictions it doesn't look good.

Around here, we've been getting "rain" , but generally only a few tenths at a time and scattered out--like at least a week or so apart. So, I'd say no, it ain't looking no better. Most ponds are still dry, and of course grass ain't gonna do anything this time of year in any case. Gonna be a very interesting next few years, either because of the continuing drought, or people trying to rebuild the herds they have sold off. It'll be mighty costly whichever way it goes.

Nothing in my area to make a significant dent in what we are lacking..Enough rain to help the wheat fields abit..and I am having wild Rye pup up EVERYWHERE..

Spoke with our rep from the fertilizer plant last weekend..his concern is we need more significant rain to help fill back up the lakes..(which feeds our irrigation)..we were approaching low enough levels where irrigation rationing was being considered..

Irrigation is the only thing that allowed us to get three cuts off of our coastal field last summer..

Stock tanks still need some water but its looking alot better around here. I just hope we have a better spring and summer than the last one.

our pools are pretty much full right now.an the rye grass is green an growing,an thats helping the cows as we are only feeding so much hay a week.we need the rain to continue so that we can get a cutting of hay.if not we will be selling some cattle an feeding from a sack.

We're still feeding hay (not best quality...bummer) and protein tubs. Everything in this part of country looks like a big "dry lot"...or, aftermath of a nuclear attack... :(

Haven't even had enough rain this year to keep the dust down. Still periodic 20 to 50 mph wind. The Red River near Childress, TX., only has a trickle. Couple years ago the 1000' or so wide river had raging water...

2012 not looking good...not pessimistic, just reality...

Cypress, Stock Tank is 3/4 full, but at 25 feet deep it didn't go dry. had enough pasture to spread out the heard and not have to sale. Winter grass is ok. Only got a 1/3 of the amount of hay as normal this year. Other 2/3rds of my hay is in your town waiting for me to come picke up. Allready got my square bales in December from New Roads.

Well....I've had a little over 7 inches since Labor day....but it's been enough to bring out the bur clover and winter grasses...oats and ryegrass is doing well with the warm and sunny days. Gone from feeding a roll of hay a day to a roll every 5 or 6 days. Looks like about the first of April. Stock tanks have caught about 6 inches to 2 ft. of water....had only 4/10ths rain since January 1.........Spent this years budget on fertilizer this week, fertilized and tilled the oat land I did not plant in the fall, expectations are to grow some millet and haygrazer....LOL....I hope.....ever the day dreamer!

It's much bEtter here. 6 inches one week put water in the tanks. Ground is wet. Warm winter so oats and wheat are good. 40 or so round bales left. I might make it. Herd is down to 48. Lots of calves hitting the ground putting total numbers up.

We've gotten more rain than most. Stock tanks are completely full, water is still standing in some of the terraces, and winter grass is doing pretty well. Hoping for a better year than last year, but they say it will take several years to get the pastures back in good shape. I just plowed and dragged 30 acres, planning to sow some giant bermuda and some WW B Dahl later. And praying for rain...

At least some areas appear to be doing better. The problem in Texas has affected us in Louisiana as well - the price of hay has more than doubled in the last 3 to 5 years.

A little rain is better than none! We've had a mild winter as well. The kids keep complaining and want snow; I just keep grinning and waiting for March 1st to get here (We rarely have any cold weather here after Feb.)

Good to hear positive news from Texas!

I am buying cows (but not many). Iv'e had a little over 3" in Dec. and Jan. and we had almost 3" in Nov. The soil is holding lots of moisture and we have had some good warm days so we have some green. The Texas winter grass is thick in the shady spots and the weeds are growing like crazy. I think we will be in good shape for the spring, but if we don't get some good spring rains, this summer is going to be tough.

Wow....just had a good rain..(probably over an inch)..and the idiot forecast liars could have claimed this one if they hadn't started "crawfishing". Will be interesting to see if the rest of the 3 inches show up....it didn't the time before last and last time was a complete bust.

So sad one can't trust em' enough to spend money on fertilizer or seed AND put in in the ground...

1982vett":kmvewhqq said:
Will be interesting to see if the rest of the 3 inches show up.

The rain came through, at least a good portion of it.

C'mon now vett, I know it must pain you to follow-up on this good news :cowboy:

jack1234":392zzesw said:
1982vett":392zzesw said:
Will be interesting to see if the rest of the 3 inches show up.

The rain came through, at least a good portion of it.

C'mon now vett, I know it must pain you to follow-up on this good news :cowboy:

2.2 inches.....since yesterday noon....on to the next, whenever that may be.... :p

Latest posts