Texas Red Harvester Ant

Help Support CattleToday:

wacocowboy

Reaction score
Any body know what to do about these things? I was reading some articles says you can use the same stuff you use for fire ants but not sure about using those pesticides in pastures I use for cattle? Thanks for any advice anybody can give me on this.

wacocowboy":5xjuu7fl said:
Any body know what to do about these things? I was reading some articles says you can use the same stuff you use for fire ants but not sure about using those pesticides in pastures I use for cattle? Thanks for any advice anybody can give me on this.

Get a horned frog they are the main diet for the frog. I know that will not solve your problem but thought I would throw that tidbit out.

When's the last time you saw a horned frog? I use to keep em as pets when I was little in SA....I think the ants ate em all....;(

yeah when I was looking at articles I read about the horn toads was wishing I had some but never seen one around here they are suppose to be endangered

If they are in the middle of the road I would watch very carefully after killing them. You could end up with a sink hole. I have seen it happen next to a house that was built about a year previously.

B&M Farms":2z9z6m9o said:
Most baits that control fire ants will work better on harvester ants. I used Ortho-orthene and it worked well.

Did you have to pull your cows from the pasture and if you did for how long

novatech":2bniol34 said:
If they are in the middle of the road I would watch very carefully after killing them. You could end up with a sink hole. I have seen it happen next to a house that was built about a year previously.

That's another thing I was kinda wondering about mine aren't in the middle of a road but what about a cow stepping on them or a tractor. I am pretty sure these devils make a pretty big hole to store all the crap they take in there.

wacocowboy":hf4qm56q said:
B&M Farms":hf4qm56q said:
Most baits that control fire ants will work better on harvester ants. I used Ortho-orthene and it worked well.

Did you have to pull your cows from the pasture and if you did for how long

It was a hay meadow I wasn't grazing so no problem with cows. You could try watering the poison in if you were worried about the cows

Latest posts