texas longhorn

Help Support CattleToday:

What happens if you cross a longhorn cow to a HH bull I know you still get the horns but does that make the horns not grow as long? Just a stupid question.JHH

Well I dont want the horns all that long. I mean I want a long horn but I dont want the horns to be extreme like some that Ive seen.

JHH wrote:

What happens if you cross a longhorn cow to a HH bull I know you still get the horns but does that make the horns not grow as long?

You will still get a calf that will grow horns-they may or may not be as long as the purebred Longhorn. I have a friend that breed registered Longhorns as well but she also has a few baldies that she breeds to her Longhorn bull. Most come out polled but she has one heifer that has almost perfect Hereford markings with excellent horns from this cross. When I first saw the heifer I had to ask what cow she was out of. She would fool most people into thinking she was all Longhorn.

So if I use a homozygous black and homozygous polled salers bull on her the calf should be black and shouldnt they also be polled since it is homozygous polled? I dont mind the calf having horns I just dont want like 34 inch horns or anything extreme.

Tuesday at Conway sale barn they sold an entire herd of long horns about 50 head between 2 and old, 3 stage bred to open, and pairs with long horn calves 150-200 lbs and they all brought $200 up to maybe $425 for everything. If I wasnt a poor farmer Id have brought some home with me. :(

I heard that lol. I just want one really to get rid of the coyotes right now I got a gelded jackass doing the work. But I think a longhorn might do better.

CommercialCattleManTN":sfktxssw said:
So if I use a homozygous black and homozygous polled salers bull on her the calf should be black and shouldnt they also be polled since it is homozygous polled? I dont mind the calf having horns I just dont want like 34 inch horns or anything extreme.

The calves might be spotted. Spots on Longhorns are like white faces on Herefords, they can keep showing up generation after generation.

J&T Farm":am73ar4g said:
Tuesday at Conway sale barn they sold an entire herd of long horns about 50 head between 2 and old, 3 stage bred to open, and pairs with long horn calves 150-200 lbs and they all brought $200 up to maybe $425 for everything. If I wasnt a poor farmer Id have brought some home with me. :(

We used to live in Conway. It was a small town back then. I'll bet it's changed a lot.

CommercialCattleManTN":2eqi8lyo said:
Even on a homozygous black bull?

Are you asking if spots can still show up using a homozygous bull? If so, yes. We have a friend who had spots show up occasionally after using Angus bulls for a couple of generations on a Longhorn cow and her LonghornXAngus daughters.

docgraybull":1778q6en said:
Beefy":1778q6en said:
why not get a shorthorn?

Could a Longhorn crossed with a Shorthorn create a new composite known as a Mediumhorn? :roll:

Only if a Shorthorns horns are really short horns and not just short compared to Longhorns horns.

MikeC":ovo8jyuo said:
Only if a Shorthorns horns are really short horns and not just short compared to Longhorns horns.

Now for fun, try saying that ten times. :lol:

MikeC":2yes03qc said:

Yeah but, what if the Longhorn's horns were really long horns and not just long compared to the Shorthorn's horns?

docgraybull":kglqcp5n said:
MikeC":kglqcp5n said:

Yeah but, what if the Longhorn's horns were really long horns and not just long compared to the Shorthorn's horns?

Your over my head now, Doc! :lol:

i doubt it because a polled hereford and a horned hereford dont make a unihorn hereford...

000_0034.jpg
http://
000_0069.jpg

both have same longhorn daddy.

Latest posts