Texas Long Horns

Help Support CattleToday:

Bar E

Reaction score
Stupid question. I know there smaller animals (mid frame or whatever), but can you breed them to larger size animals? Example being breeding a TLH to an angus bull or hereford or what have you? Would you do it if it was an option?

LH genetics don't play well with others
as far as color. Unless you have a niche market they will not fair as well at the barn. Hereford or Angus both are good choices they will show some LH characteristics in the calves that will get docked.

Red Bull Breeder":3107iavj said:
Breed them to a red limousin or a char bull.
I had one back when the market was so high. Sort of a solid orange color. Calved and had a snow white char calf.....sold that rascal before he started growing horns. 195 lbs. and brought $5.20 a lb. Guess I should have PO'd him. :lol: :lol: Try to avoid the wild colorations.

Breed TLH cows with Charolais bull to knock off the spots/horns and bring muscles to the calves, no other breed can do that for you(no Angus, no Hereford, no Limousin)... :cboy:

July808043-1.jpg

Charolais and limousin are better choices for the Longhorns than anything for marketable calves. For some odd reason, British White and Belted Galloway do better job with putting uniformity in the calf crop than Charolais and limousin.

You can't go wrong with Charolais on a cattle breed with 99% unassisted birth record, since higher birth weight will translate to higher weaned weight, anything a Limousin bull does, a Charolais does it better and twice on Sunday in this case(knocking the chrome spots off, horns and putting muscles on a scrawny sorry looking breed).

TexasBred":1ihe2o57 said:
Red Bull Breeder":1ihe2o57 said:
I had one back when the market was so high. Sort of a solid orange color. Calved and had a snow white char calf.....sold that rascal before he started growing horns. 195 lbs. and brought $5.20 a lb. Guess I should have PO'd him. :lol: :lol: Try to avoid the wild colorations.

I bet that buyer wanted to beat your butt after six months that calf finally weighed 400 pounds and twenty of that was horns.

TennesseeTuxedo":2m12e24i said:
Where are you located Taurus?
I am located in Texas, the cattle in the picture are not mine, but they are the result of such cross(Longhorn x Charolais).. :cboy:

My how the experts have chimed in. Muddy has only ever seen a longhorn in the movies and Gaurus and Taurus could have been twins. Taurus Gaurus you don't know what the hell your talking about. Horn genes are the same in char or limousins. Only a real dumb a== wouldn't know that.

Red Bull Breeder":yjxm4f2z said:
My how the experts have chimed in. Muddy has only ever seen a longhorn in the movies and Gaurus and Taurus could have been twins. Taurus Gaurus you don't know what the be nice your talking about. Horn genes are the same in char or limousins. Only a real dumb a== wouldn't know that.
Got that right African horn gene trumps all

Red Bull Breeder":3s47jmi2 said:
My how the experts have chimed in. Muddy has only ever seen a longhorn in the movies and Gaurus and Taurus could have been twins. Taurus Gaurus you don't know what the be nice your talking about. Horn genes are the same in char or limousins. Only a real dumb a== wouldn't know that.
It is what it is, Charolais bulls bring more $ than Limousin than Limousin bulls, you can't argue with facts... :cboy:

gaurus":ffn01rfh said:
Red Bull Breeder":ffn01rfh said:
It is what it is, Charolais bulls bring more $ than Limousin than Limousin bulls, you can't argue with facts... :cboy:

And yet you can't hardly give away a white bull in our area! Just because the Chars you favor bring more in your area, doesn't mean its like that everywhere. In NW WI, any color, be it roans, whites, smokes, brindles, feathernecks will take a dock. They want black, BWF, red or RWF. Not personal bias on my part, just how it is. Other areas are different. That doesn't change the fact that a Limi may be a good option on the TLH cows.

Boot Jack Bulls":6nls0oyx said:
gaurus":6nls0oyx said:

And yet you can't hardly give away a white bull in our area! Just because the Chars you favor bring more in your area, doesn't mean its like that everywhere. In NW WI, any color, be it roans, whites, smokes, brindles, feathernecks will take a dock. They want black, BWF, red or RWF. Not personal bias on my part, just how it is. Other areas are different. That doesn't change the fact that a Limi may be a good option on the TLH cows.
Unfortunately, longhorns isn't an ideal breed for the commercial operations. Here the buyers didn't like LimoX and they are fussy with CharX from time to time. You do get more $$ out of the crosses than straight longhorns tho. If you're in the area where the blacks sell, forget the longhorns because the black bulls won't knock the LH colors off and the buyers hate black skunktails.

One of the selling points of the TLH breed is that they are hardy cattle, rarely needing doctoring. I've never owned any, but I did read some of their literature. If true, bit spending money on vets / medicine helps with the bottom line.

PS - I know a guy who ran a red Mashona bull over a group of TLH cows, and the calves were solid red. He said people thought the calves were red Angus.

Bad as I hate to, I'm going to have to get 4 or 5 longhorn cows. It's just too hard, and too expensive to find something to rope. I already keep a LH bull year round. LH calves just never come through the yard here. They come at a premium when an individual has them.

Caustic Burno":196cgtv9 said:
TexasBred":196cgtv9 said:
Red Bull Breeder":196cgtv9 said:

I bet that buyer wanted to beat your butt after six months that calf finally weighed 400 pounds and twenty of that was horns.
:lol: ;-)

There is a breeder whose pasture I pass in my weekly trips and he has solid black LH's. Looks like he breeds most to a solid black LH type bull I'm sure for roping cattle but one pasture he runs a good quality what appears to be an Angus and the calves look nice. Not sure how much LH is in the cows but they have big horns so much be a high percentage.

Latest posts