Texas Hog Hunt

Help Support CattleToday:

hkj

Reaction score
Recently I went to San Antonio t o visit family, while there I did a one day hog hunt with Hunting Adventures outfitter. I was on such a short time line that I was not able to do much research before selecting this outfitter or price shop for that matter. BIG mistake!!! I talked with the ouffiter several times on the phone prior to my arrival and what I heard on the phone seemed like a good choice at the time. For a one day hog hunt $125 was the agreed price and he said that he had weapons if I needed one. I took my bow wanting to take a hog with it and he supplied a rifle. The rifle he supplied me with was a low end Savage varmint rifle with the old factory trigger chambered in .223 and a piece of crap Tasco scope. Sorry, Tasco owners but they are at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to optics. I love Savage rifles have no heart burns with them accept the old triggers, that was always their down fall. To make matters worse the rifle was poorly maintained, rusty dirty had a hard time loading rounds into the magazine well. The ammunition issued was the cheapest money could buy. A buddy of mine that I was stationed in Iraq with went on his very first hunt with me and was handed a Remington .270 that looked like it had been left in the rain and sun its entire life. So equipment was poor and the hunting blinds were in poor condition. The first part of the day I was in a ground blind that was full of holes an old office chair that took up 1/4 of the interior space and creaked like an old hinge. I saw no hogs in the morning. Later in the evening I was put in a tower stand that was full of trash missing part of the roof, full of bird droppings and I thought for sure I would fall through the flooring. In the evening I was able to take two hogs from this blind they were sows, my buddy took a small sow also. During the day my buddy and I helped the outfitter with some repairs of feeders and other mendings. We gave our harvest to the outfitter because I was not prepared to travel several hours back to Virginia carrying meat. The outfitter offered no compensation or reduction of price even after receiving 200+ lbs of pork. Maybe I expected too much for a one day hunt but the way I see it is everyone should be treated the same whether it's one day or a one week hunt. The good I can take away is lessons learned on researching outfitters and harvesting two nice sows and most of all the experience of my buddy on his first hunt. I would not recommend this outfitter to anyone.

Doesn't sound like an outfitter, sounds like a regular guy making a little extra $$$ to me. You did good on a 1 day (day) hunt though. Around here most people don't consider hog meat as "valuable" as deer meat. I don't know if that's the right way to word it but I'm sure you will get my idea.

Brute 23, sounds good send me some info. Are you an Outfitter? If I make another trip I'm bringing my own rifle this time so I know the rifle. The hogs I shot were about 160-170 yards out and hit behind the ear but I did not have a lot of confidence in the supplied equipment. We dress and skinned the hogs and he put them in the freezer, unless he trashed them later. The outfitter mentioned is out of Pearsall, TX about 70 miles south of San Antonio.

I am not an outfitter or guide but I do some guiding if that makes sences. :lol:

Not sure what exactly you are looking for but I will help you any way I can. If I can do what you are looking for great,,, if not then I know some reputable outfits that can. ;-)

Just PM me ahead of time with what you are looking for and we can get you set up.

Those suckers sure do move around alot. You were right to shoot them behind the ear. They will drop in their tracks.

Sounds to me like you got your $125 worth. Two hogs on a one day hunt? Not bad. The rifle and scope may not have been as elite as your weapon but it killed those hogs. I would call that a good day. JMO

It does sound like I got my $125 dollars worth of meat but there were many more issues involved besides equipment, issues that I choose not to talk about because they get me upset just thinking about it. Believe me I have very thick skin and it takes a lot to ruffle my feathers but this guy managed to do it. Here's an example, his wife did the cooking (very good cook) and would join in on conversations from time to time. He would immediately find some way of drowning her out or embarrass her in front of us and another client. The other client was a very experienced hunter that has traveled the world. He would at times get tiered of conversations taking place and the insults the outfitter would make towards his wife, so the client would retreat to his cabin. There was no excuse for the condition of the blinds, stands and the rifles should never be in the condition they were in.

Latest posts