Testing Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

SmallOhioFarm

Reaction score
I tried to do a search but didn't have a whole lot of luck with it. I would like to get my hay tested and I dont know how to go about it. I have read up on how to collect it and such but I'm not sure on who I should use. I'm obviously from Ohio (SmallOhioFarm) and I googled "forage testing Ohio" and I found this place http://www.blinc.com/intro.htm Should I use them or somewhere else? Thanks for any help.

SmallOhioFarm":16ckmevs said:
I tried to do a search but didn't have a whole lot of luck with it. I would like to get my hay tested and I dont know how to go about it. I have read up on how to collect it and such but I'm not sure on who I should use. I'm obviously from Ohio (SmallOhioFarm) and I googled "forage testing Ohio" and I found this place http://www.blinc.com/intro.htm Should I use them or somewhere else? Thanks for any help.

Best way is to get your feed store to send the right person out to do the job - they all have feed reps from various companies.

Only glanced at the Brookside web site - why not spend a buck and call them direct? Get the answers straight from the horses mouth. Or email one of the folks directly - they publish their email addresses.

If I were you I would start with Greg Meyer and ask him to steer you to the right person if he is not the go to guy in this circumstance.

I would also ask them exactly what it is they want in the line of samples, what they will do with them, what type of result you will get back, and how much it will cost. Plus additional questions you might think of.

Your ag rep can help you with that - you folks call them ag extension people I think. I would be surprized if he did not know the who, what, where and so on of this.

If you do it right and buy any supplements from your feed store - the store may do it for free.

They do this at our place. We have not paid for testing in years.

It is not rocket science, so do not make it more complex than it is by over thinking it - have fun, and ask what all the various percentages really mean when you get the report back - when you read it you will understand.

Regards

[Bez]

I take mine over to Auburn University. A land grant university with an Ag. school. Have you got one of thoses in Ohio?

[Bez said:
":1mo7s3ni]

Only glanced at the Brookside web site - why not spend a buck and call them direct? Get the answers straight from the horses mouth. Or email one of the folks directly - they publish their email addresses.

These were the folks I was going to suggest. Brookside Labs. The farm where I work uses them for everything, from soil samples, plant samples to hay. Tell them what you want to know, and you get back a very thorough report.

Or you could try your local extension agent.

Katherine

Thank you every one for your responses. I will give them a call tomorrow and get the ball rolling. I hope to get all the samples this weekend and then ship 'em out Monday. Once I get them back, I probably will be asking everyone's thoughts on the results. Thanks again.

SmallOhioFarm":50r05xv7 said:
Thank you every one for your responses. I will give them a call tomorrow and get the ball rolling. I hope to get all the samples this weekend and then ship 'em out Monday. Once I get them back, I probably will be asking everyone's thoughts on the results. Thanks again.

Reults?

Better you ask those guys and then tell us

There will be huge arguments about the useable crude proteins and the other "stuff" - so give us the definitive answers from the pros including their thoughts on feed quality.

That is why I told you to be sure to ask what those various ercentages mean - they are the experts.

You come to us for opinion.

After all you do not go to the mechanic to get your teeth fixed

Cheers

[Bez]

SmallOhioFarm":y5f2am82 said:
lol Bez, I will ask them and share with everyone what they said. That's no problem. Thanks again!

Since you already own the hay not a lot of the test results matter now other than protein and TDN which will give you some idea as to how much (if any) and type of additional supplementation the cattle may need.