Tenderizing Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

or you could just switch to raising Piedmontese and know that EVERY piece of beef will be tender because it is the muscle structure that provides the tenderness, not the marbling...
I have always wanted to try it.

It's not the marbling that affects a 'cube' steak's tenderness..
It's the white streaks of connective tissue that many consumers mistake for marbling.
No amount of tenderizing is going to make sinuous connective tissue palatable.
I had to educate my own son about that a few years back when we were getting enough tenderized steak for about 15 of our family.

Uncooked cube steak should be all red, no white streaks in it.
I absolutely love a chicken fried steak but hate when someone cooks them too long. May be a CFS but they are still a steak and I want mine med rare at the most.

There is a youtube guy called Guga Foods that has experimented with tenderizing all kinds of steak every conceivable way under the sun.
Gallagher had an experimental procedure for tenderizing watermelons. Wondering if they're related.

We have all of our round steak cubed. My wife soakes them in buttermilk for 24 hours, dredges them in seasoned flour and fries them in a cast iron skillet. She then fixes gravy out of the drippins. That with mashed taters is hard to beat on a cold winters night.

I've tried the buttermilk soak thing a couple of times. mehh.. It made them too soft and mushy for my taste and detracted from the beef taste to me.
They were certainly tender, but too much so.

I've tried the buttermilk soak thing a couple of times. mehh.. It made them too soft and mushy for my taste and detracted from the beef taste to me.
They were certainly tender, but too much so.
I think the key to cubed steak like this is how thick it is cut. Too thin and it will fall apart when marinated. But the thinner it is cut, the more tender it will seem to be.

I just bread and flour mine, but when frying it, I get a crust and then cut the heat way down, put the lid on, and let it steam a while before cranking the heat back up to crisp it back up.

I put a half in the freezer Thursday. I had the round tenderized. I expect to like that much better.

Latest posts