Technique question

Help Support CattleToday:

jschoolcraft86

Reaction score
I AI'd my first set of cows on Saturday. It was the first time since AI school last March so I should probably cut myself a little slack but I am still somewhat frustrated with how I did. I was only able to get through the cervix on 3 out of 9, had to have my buddy get the first 6. I am encouraged that I started getting into a groove on the last 3 but I'm still definitely wanting to improve before I set up the next batch.

Anyway, the question I have is if there are any words of wisdom on how to get a cow who has filled up with air to let that air out to make it easier to feel around. The first few cows blew up like balloons and I had a ton of trouble even feeling where the cervix was. Is there anything to be done to help prevent that or release some of that air, or is it more just a matter of getting more experienced so I can find what/where I need even if they have trapped air?

I was not a natural born AI inseminator when I started neither, but don't get discouraged because it does get easier in time. I have had the same problem with cows feeling bloated inside also. My AI instructor said that if you flatten your hand out and gently tap down on the inside rectal lining, you will feel the cow relax and the air bubble seems to dissipate away. I have good luck using that trick many time. I also am assuming that you are not talking about rectal gas because my cows never have a problem releasing that, so you may also want to stand a little bit to the side. good luck

Thank you I will give that a shot. I feel a lot better today about the struggles now, I had some unreasonable expectations about how good I was going to be ;) Definitely looking forward to getting more practice.

If a cow's rectum is filled with air, reach in as far as you can, gently pinch the rectal wall between your thumb and forefinger and rub them together. That will usually stimulate a rectal contraction to push the air out.

I'm also fairly new, probably less than 25 cows bred. It seems like I have less of that balloon issue if I clean out as much of the fecal matter as I can reach. Whether it helps them move air out, or makes more room for the air, I'm not sure. But I think it works. I remember the feeling you have very well....frustration. But it gets better. At my place I pretty much stick to the cows, and someone else handles heifers. I think the cows are easier. One of my bigger struggles was keeping from going "past" the opening of the cervix (kind of get pushed along the side, in stead of through the opening). I often have to make a conscious effort to back up and make sure I'm right at the start before I start looking for the opening.

Yeah when I finally started getting through a few it usually took a conscious effort on my part to slow down, back up, and then feel for that gritty feeling when I got to the cervix.

I will say that as frustrating as it was to struggle, it was at least as rewarding when I got through and knew I was on target. Now I have to anxiously twiddle my thumbs until ultrasound day.

You can also reach in until you feel the rings of the rectum. Then push down and pull back. This generally gets a lot of air out.

If it is rectal air, try not to let it happen. If you are cleaning her out and she passes faeces, get your hand back in before she sucks the air in. Vaginal air, cows doing a lot of mounting can fill the vagina with a lot of air. I was told to try a wet/dry vacuum cleaner which I have on two occaisions with reasonable success, just use it sensibly, I use a battery powered one so not overly powerfull. You do not want the "giblets" flying up the tube.

Ken

I find if they have air trapped it is when i play around too much, i then wait for them to push and push my forearm to the left breaking the seal and let it come out. I have also been putting a disposable latex glove on over the large glove to give me better feeling. Another mistake i made early on was to hold the cervix too close to the opening and was basically holding it shut. Now i hold it further down with my thumb and finger and the remainder rests on my other fingers to guide it. But there are some cows that are just plain difficult, i had one that was so deep i was up to my shoulder and the entire gun was inside her, but it was easy to get through cervix once there. I have one cow at the moment whos cervix is tilted down sharply, a.i.d her four times now for three pregnancies and each time has been really difficult, last time i gave up in middle of cervix but she still stuck.

pump your arm 3 or 4 times, dont pull it out, you will feel the rings come to you when that happens feel through the first, the cervix is usually right there. unless there compacted i never move the crap out, im there to breed cows not play in crap.
everybody has to find there niche, just look away, carry on a conversation with someone or the cow, you can think way to much.

I appreciate the tips and pointers from everyone as well. I've only AI'd 2 seasons. Feels like there's a lot of learning to do yet. I've always started to clear the 💩 out when it gets too aired up or she won't relax. One of my problems is finding the cervix quickly consistantly. Some cows have to strain and push, by the time I finally get to look for the cervix its in some foreign country. Any ideas on how to quickly locate cervix and how to put those special cows at ease? When the cow has done lots of pushing does cervix end up far back and down with lots of vaginal folds?

Usually go in a out a foot, palm down go under the crap, I go from 9 o'clock down sweeping my palm to upwards, 80% of the time I have it by 6 o'clock, if not I sweep to 9, start over if need be.

Redgully said:
I have one cow at the moment whos cervix is tilted down sharply, a.i.d her four times now for three pregnancies and each time has been really difficult, last time i gave up in middle of cervix but she still stuck.
Great point. Even after 30 years of AI, I still have a problem with some. Had a virgin heifer last year that I could not get completely through and deposited before the last ring. she settled also and had a nice calf 2 months ago. Good reminder to beginners that depositing in the cervix does not drastically reduce your conception rate.

Josher said:
I appreciate the tips and pointers from everyone as well. I've only AI'd 2 seasons. Feels like there's a lot of learning to do yet. I've always started to clear the 💩 out when it gets too aired up or she won't relax. One of my problems is finding the cervix quickly consistantly. Some cows have to strain and push, by the time I finally get to look for the cervix its in some foreign country. Any ideas on how to quickly locate cervix and how to put those special cows at ease? When the cow has done lots of pushing does cervix end up far back and down with lots of vaginal folds?
I guess I am a little surprised about how many post mention clearing the rectum track of nasty stuff to release air. I just assume that is ALWAYS the first thing that is done. To reply to your straining problem, I sometime just stop what I am doing, do not remove your arm, and just relax for a minute. That works about 75% of the time. Some cows but mostly heifer just keep straining no matter what I try. About finding the cervix, Straining does not seem to alter the location of the cervix. usually the uterus is nice and firm like two bananas side by side if she had a good strong heat. I always find the uterus first and work my way back. If all else fails, I insert the breeding tube and follow that in. If your lucky, it will be at the end of the rod.

The only time I "clear the crap" is when they've loaded up on lots of dry hay and it is compacted. If it's relatively loose, I just slide my hand under the stuff and go to work. Early on, I found that I was going in too far, and was past the cervix. I usually go in the rectum just past my wrist. I insert gun and slide it in until I feel some resistance. That doesn't always mean you are there, sometimes vaginal folds can stop the gun too. Once gun hits resistance, I try to find the tip of the gun with the palm of my hand and start feeling for cervix. Usually, it is VERY close, especially if you missed the vaginal folds. Occasionally, I'll find one way off to one side or the other, but most of the time, they are right where they are supposed to be, just maybe not as deep as one would think. Heifers are the worst for being very shallow. I've bred several before that didn't even take 1/4 of the gun to get through the cervix and deposit semen. I hate those mommas with a cervix that is curved completely under (on either end). Those are a PILL to breed, but can be done if you just try to take your time and go slow. Easily frustrating, but the cooler you stay, the better you will do. I fought one for a good 5 min one time and I was doing more stomping and slurring than the cow. I took a little 15 second breather to get myself together and then proceeded to work the gun through the cervix and get the cow bred in short order. Good luck! Every time you go in a cow, you'll get better and learn from your experiences. I enjoy breeding cows, but early on, I doubted I'd ever be able to get it. Now, I breed all my cows AI and have been getting along very well. I breed on natural heats and if you can do it that way, it sure ups conception...not to mention the cows seem to be toned up better than with synced heats.

I had two older and bigger cows this year that I had trouble handling the cervix, just too big and hanging over the pelvis that I couldn't get. I didn't waste the semen just used it on the next cow. These cows were synchronised and I was trying to bring them forward a bit. I just let them out and got them in just before due back in and put patches on them, gave PG and inseminated on observed heats, had no trouble inseminating them this time all was back to a more manageable size for me. I think a cycle or two can be needed sometimes for things to go back to normal, both stuck to the AI.
I still caught up a bit of time on them.

Ken

I feel your pain, the simple process of working a rod through a cervix can be very frustrating. It surely is a developed skill, as I have had others go right behind me and make it look so simple it's embarrassing. One tip a guy gave me was to give a bucket of feed to the cow while in the chute. Sounds silly I know, but it relaxes the cow, and most don't seem to care what's going on on the other end till the buckets empty. And yeah, for people that do large numbers a day it's not feasible, but those don't have trouble anyway.
So far the tips have been good, keep them coming for those of us that only get an arm in a few head per year.

I very rarely get an aired-up cow these days but can give two hints.
One, they air up if they're held in a small yard for an hour or more riding each other. The sooner they're drafted, done and back to the herd the less opportunity they have to suck in air.
Two, they're not relaxed.
There's nothing like a relaxed cow to make the job easy. So ideally they're comfortable with the person who will be handling them, they're comfortable with the situation (probably drafting from the herd and being sent into a secure area for AI) and if they've been AI'd before, it should not have been at all uncomfortable.
I remember being very frustrated a time or two many years ago with cows that would hunch and strain the first time I bred them (I've got slim wrists, they barely know I'm in there and there's never a problem if I did them last time, but there are AI technicians around that are twice my size and don't seem to realise that the cows can feel what they do in there).

As for cleaning the dung out, I only do that if I have to, it's a natural response for the cow to defecate if someone sticks an arm in there, I try to get the inseminator in, hold it clear of the dropping poo and let her get on with it, she'll clear out much better that way than if I try pulling handfuls out, which I would only do if she didn't do it for herself or if I couldn't access/manipulate the cervix through whatever is in there.

And by the way, I do know how to get 100% conception rate, ..... just put the wrong straw in. Works every time. I know cause I'm expecting a GAR Precision 1680 any day now. A straw I had kept to practice with on commercial cows, got put in my registered cow. Oh well. :D

sometimes those "screw ups" turn out better than the "planned/ideal" mating that we have scheduled. Hope it works out better than you expect and with no bad "genes".

Latest posts