Technical feed question?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kelly

Reaction score
I have this mixed up for me & I am really just wondering if I am missing something in my feed. I am staying as all natural as I possibly can in everything I feed. I use this feed mainly for my steer I am feeding out & calves for creep & also to supplement my heifers & cows when the weather is wetter & colder out. I was feeding it to the cows daily but they are all getting too fat. All the animals also get free feed grass hay & the pro phos 12 mineral & salt blocks. How do I know if this is a balanced feed ? Just curious if anyone out there has any input? Or changes I might want to make.
In a mix I have for #1000. They put #700 cracked corn, #100 whole oats & #200 of this Gold Ribbon 40% protein: Which includes...Plant protein products , processed grain , molasses
pro-40%
fat-1%
fiber-6%
acid deter. fiber-7%
calcium- 2.0-2.5%
phos--1.0%
salt-1.8-2.5%
selen - 1.8
vit.A-16500
Vit.D-3300
Vit.E-66
The Pro Phos 12 also has:
Calc- 11.5-13.5%
phos 12%
salt 11.0-13.0%
magnes-2.0%
potas.1.0%
zinc-4750
maganese-4000
copper-1300
iodine 130
sel 22
vit A 200000
vitD 12000
vit E 60

I quess my main question is am I wasting my money by adding the Gold Ribbon 40% since they can get most of the vitamins etc. in the pro phos? Would it be just as effective to use maybe soybean meal & add some of the pro phos 12 to the feed mix & take out the pellet(Gold Ribbon) I am just trying to be cost effective & but not too frugal where I am missing something they need. I have to order my grain tomorrow & just trying to see if I should make any changes before I order it. Anybody have any suggestions?

Subsoil":1z1fn7at said:
You might try this program:

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/exten/cowculator/download/Cowculator 2.0.xls

It's called "Cowculator" and is and OSU Excel spreadsheet.

You might just play with it a little and delete it if it's not helpful.

A good tool. We've used that for a number of years. It was particularly handy during the drought to determine what our feed requirements would be and what we would have to buy.

dun

gto05":34864ll5 said:
anyone have something like that for feeding steers?

There area bunch of other things on that site, maybe they have one. Just need to check them out.

dun

Latest posts