Teachers -- "What do they make?"

Help Support CattleToday:

angie":8srrn5tm said:
Lunch is almost over, but I want to reiterate ~ I have been in the public school system a long time. I regret that you have poor examples in your family and maybe in your experience as a student or parent of students. As I stated earlier, I am impressed again and again by the intelligence of my colleagues, by their comittment to continuing their education, their knowledge in their field (personally I don't care if the teacher teaching my kid to write an essay can figure out what "25% off" means), their ability to discuss current local and world events responsibly and intelligently with students (an ability I find lacking in too many adults these days) and their commitment to student achievement, demonstrated on a daily basis.

Probably will wish I had said more or less or different, but lunch is officially done so I am too! :tiphat:
Angie I went to school ages ago and had what I considered wonderful teachers but back in those days it seems a huge majority of teachers were totally dedicated to teaching students. And I agree there still are a world of good teachers out there. Good schools with high standards do draw the better teachers too. The lesser qualified usually settle wherever they can and unfortunately that might be your child's school district. Those in my family (not my children) I would say are average or a bit below. Futhermore get them outside of teaching and they can hardly carry on a conversation. I wouldn't want to be a full time teacher for all the tea in China although I have done some specialized teaching over the years. As for the statistics from 2004, yes they are outdated but they do reflect results at that time. Have we improved??? I certainly hope so. Thanks for a good rebuttal. :tiphat: