TCCA- the only game in town?

Help Support CattleToday:

And not even a slap on the wrist for that.. since now he's showing others how to follow in his footsteps. He should have been banned, I don't care who did it. Ultimately the animals owner has to bear the responsibility.

The irony....Ryan is in charge of the rules according to the showbox magazine.

It's very frustrating.. so many people complain (among themselves) and NOTHING ever gets done. It's as if no one wants to rock the boat. The thing is.. everyone who is involved should have a voice.. not just the "big wigs".

I don't have any kids.. I occassionally sell a calf or two to kids that show, but still hear all this crap that goes on. The deal with the "Simbrah" at Ft. Worth absolutely FRIES me. And believe me.. everyone is going to hear about it.

TheBullLady":2cva6y34 said:
It's very frustrating.. so many people complain (among themselves) and NOTHING ever gets done. It's as if no one wants to rock the boat. The thing is.. everyone who is involved should have a voice.. not just the "big wigs".

I don't have any kids.. I occassionally sell a calf or two to kids that show, but still hear all this crap that goes on. The deal with the "Simbrah" at Ft. Worth absolutely FRIES me. And believe me.. everyone is going to hear about it.
The Bull Lady is right. if you're going to complain, go to the top and voice your complaints there. If that doesn't work go above them. Remember there are directors above the committees. Then probaly the state legislature.

la4angus":3u4z2cks said:
The Bull Lady is right. if you're going to complain, go to the top and voice your complaints there. If that doesn't work go above them. Remember there are directors above the committees. Then probaly the state legislature.

Again another comment by someone who doesn't know anything about the TJLA/TCCA. Texas Junior Livestock Association is just the name of the group. The state has no say so over any of the matters.

The association was started by the mother. Basically, they can pretty much do whatever they want to. If you don't like it, then don't join or support them by paying entry fees at any of the shows.

You can mention it to the junior directors, don't know if it will change anything, you can mention it to the adult directors, don't know if it will change anything.

This kind of thing happens in all business. A job comes open and instead of the most qualified person moving up, the son, son-n-law, daughter, daughter-n-law, etc. of the boss is brought in to fill the spot, having no experience for the job.

It's life, stuff happens. Move on.

cul8r":27vdhjsp said:
If you don't like it, then don't join or support them by paying entry fees at any of the shows.
This is the best thing to do. Don't join and don't support it by paying entry fees at any of the shows.

I am glad someone posted that there is a Junior and Adult Board associated with this organization.

I have known several of the people who have served on the adult board and I would like to say--these people care very much about what happens at the show and they try to make rules, adjust rules, etc. for the benefit of the kids. It is not solely run by Cherie, Ben or Ryan. Ryan does not write the rules--the board goes through changes each year. But there is no way to write rules for every issue. You will always find someone that looks for ways to "push the limit".

The Showbox mag. is a separate business and they put together a very good mag. at no cost to members, FFA or 4-H leaders, etc. I have no problem that they make a profit. I would venture to say if someone wanted to take the financial risk--they could probably purchase the mag. and/or the organization. There are a lot of headaches associated with dealing with many of the parents of these great kids.

There is no organization, sport activity, school activity--almost nothing in life that does not have problems including people who do things that are not of the highest in integrity. Basically, people have to decide how they want to spend their time with their family. If it is in showing cattle--these jackpot shows are great--so many good people to meet, you keep your kids busy and out of trouble. It can be as good as you want it to be.

I have been a person that has "sweated" over the small stuff and have been frustrated about different issues in the showring and with various breeds. Things have happen that makes me grateful for having the freedom to go to these events, prepare our animals and the kids to do their best and enjoy the time with family. We are still very competitive as a family but some of the issues---we must do our part to make things better---we have got to not sweat the small stuff and most stuff is small stuff.

While I'm not affiliated with the TCAA, we do however show our stock. IMHO, we as parents need to focus on teaching our children the correct way of doing things.

The saying "cheaters never win" is not true in some areas, but in the long run, the ones who do the cheating know in their hearts,that they didn't truly win.

We had a show last weekend, and the last thing I told my stepson before he entered the ring was "Have fun".

warpaint":2nb3q8ii said:
While I'm not affiliated with the TCAA, we do however show our stock. IMHO, we as parents need to focus on teaching our children the correct way of doing things.

The saying "cheaters never win" is not true in some areas, but in the long run, the ones who do the cheating know in their hearts,that they didn't truly win.

We had a show last weekend, and the last thing I told my stepson before he entered the ring was "Have fun".
That's great. :) We need more parents in this show business who support their kids that way. It's beginning to become overrun with parents more concerned with winning than with making sure their child has fun doing what their doing, and that they're learning in the process. I hate going to jackpots and seeing kids get into a ring with an animal they've never walked before and be pushed to the point of tears because the animal won't behave for them.

I have been involved with kids and calves here in the great state of Texas for almost 30 years. I have been around long enough to see TCCA start ogg as aplace for kids showing steers to get a few more opportunities to show and get some recoginition.

25 years ago, going to the major shows was like a big reunion for parents, teachers and county agents to see old friends from all over the state and a chance for the kids to show and have a good time. It seems that now all people are concerned about are the "point standings" and who is in the top 10. I have supervised kids that have been members of TCCA and been successful. My own two kids were never members because I wanted showing to be fun and not burn them out chasing points. That was a personal choice and I respect the people who go all the time because at least they spending time with their kids.

Latest posts