TCCA- the only game in town?

Help Support CattleToday:

JTBullRider

Reaction score
I put my kids in the TCCA this year and they all did very well (2 of them in the top ten), but I am very discouraged about the politics we ran into. Is TCCA the only organization in the state with sanctioned shows?

I'm tired of the Robbie/Ryan thing. Rumor is she will run for Miss Texas next year. Anybody heard that? Does that mean Ryan won't have a protege' next year? I think the kids could stand the break. Not that a little fair competition is bad, this is just too much of a conflict of interest not to make people mad.

JTBullRider":3fr0u98k said:
I put my kids in the TCCA this year and they all did very well (2 of them in the top ten), but I am very discouraged about the politics we ran into. Is TCCA the only organization in the state with sanctioned shows?

I'm tired of the Robbie/Ryan thing. Rumor is she will run for Miss Texas next year. Anybody heard that? Does that mean Ryan won't have a protege' next year? I think the kids could stand the break. Not that a little fair competition is bad, this is just too much of a conflict of interest not to make people mad.
I've heard the same about the Miss Texas thing though I have to say I think that is more of a rumor than anything. I'll ask a friend of hers in my barn. As far as having a protege...he wouldn't have one either way cause she graduates this year. I can almost guarantee you'll see her in the opens at the majors, though. I don't mind her showin...she's a great showman with darn good calves. It's more that Ryan influence I don't like.

One showed a pig (not a member) and two showed steers. They have American and Exotic breeds but I better not say more. I know Ryan reads this board and I don't want him to figure out who they are and use my comments about him against them. I am just so blasted tired of the TCCA politics. I know some have posted that Robbie is a nice girl but I've seen her be very rude to adults and other exhibitors and more than anything I think it is ethically wrong that someone from inside the TCCA sponsors a member. On the other hand, I think he is a fine judge and does a number of other things well. I just wish he would forget having a protoge' in the future. It would be best for all.

I have to say I agree with you on that. The whole show business has become very political and it's really the only thing that bothers me. That and the cheating. Otherwise, I have to say showing is one of the best things that's ever come into my life.

I challenge you to find any hobby, sport, or extra curricular activity without politics playing a major role. The same goes for our chosen professions, churches, schools. The sooner in life a person learns their own role in the politics of life, the better. What better arena for that to occur than an activity where the parents and children are working together, side by side. Our daughters were involved in the OCCA for eight years, and we showed at many TCCA shows as well. We never felt as though the politics affected how we approached our calf showing addiction. As parents, my wife and I started early stressing education, but even more so stressing that in life, who you know is also more important than what you know. I will always believe that both my daughters won more shows with their looks and personalities than they did with their heifers. Don't get me wrong, they never won with an inferior calf. At any given show, there are always several calves capable of winning. My girls knew how to get an edge. Parents, teach your children well. Show them how to find their edge; not to run away. :idea:

While I do not disagree with you about the importance of learning what your political role is, I would also challenge you to consider that unethical practices within an organization should not be deemed automatically acceptable. I have seen results "fixed" at some of these shows and to be honest, I've been offered prefered treatment for my kids myself. I do not want to instill in them that since their dad knows the judge, the show management, etc. that they should expect to win. I want them to work their tails off and win because they have produced a superior animal and they have worked hard. A shallow victory won because my daughter is well connected or pretty does not provide the winning attitude I want instilled in her moral compass. Also, my comments were directed at one individual that is on the inside of TCCA and what he does is equal to insider trading, not to showing in general. I know that there will always be a certain amount of subjectivity and political leanings in the ring (have had it work both ways for us) and I am not speaking of that so much as I am the outright conflict of interest I have witnessed.

JTBullRider":103whweg said:
While I do not disagree with you about the importance of learning what your political role is, I would also challenge you to consider that unethical practices within an organization should not be deemed automatically acceptable. I have seen results "fixed" at some of these shows and to be honest, I've been offered prefered treatment for my kids myself. I do not want to instill in them that since their dad knows the judge, the show management, etc. that they should expect to win. I want them to work their tails off and win because they have produced a superior animal and they have worked hard. A shallow victory won because my daughter is well connected or pretty does not provide the winning attitude I want instilled in her moral compass. Also, my comments were directed at one individual that is on the inside of TCCA and what he does is equal to insider trading, not to showing in general. I know that there will always be a certain amount of subjectivity and political leanings in the ring (have had it work both ways for us) and I am not speaking of that so much as I am the outright conflict of interest I have witnessed.
You point out many reasons to change the management of the organization. Several interested parties of great integrity and ambition need to get on the Board of Directors and clean house. The same goes for the Junior Board. Another view of the political process. You know the old saying, "Action speaks louder than words". Go for it!!!!

There are a lot of complaints about the tcca. I believe they do a pretty good job. Remember: They deal with people all over the state. You cannot find any organization that involves kids, cattle, parents, money and a desire to win that does not have some type of complaining or politics. The world is not perfect and neither is any association in the world. :D

Most of the good work you see at the shows is to the credit of the show management putting on the show. The TCCA does nothing at these jackpot shows besides accept the results, post the points, and take their sanction fee. The do put on a good Fall Classic and Belt Buckle Bonanza each year.

Politics will happen for sure, but anybody with any business ethics at all should see that Ryan pushing Robbie is a HUGE conflict of interest. As a founder/owner of the business he should not be that closely involved in the ambitions of any exhibitor.... but he provides her with cattle, manages her, picks out her clothes, backs her financially, and travels with her. The girl is from McKinney but the checks she writes at the shows is off of a Crockett account. Hmmm..... doesn't Ryan live in Crockett? I have personally witnessed these things as have many others.

These actions are beyond simple politics, it's just a bad and unfair business practice.

Robbie also breeds some of her own steers, is what I was told by her best friend.

jaydill":kghgrwqf said:
Robbie also breeds some of her own steers, is what I was told by her best friend.

Breeding her steers....I would love to see that! :D :D Just kidding, just sounded funny first time I read it.

cowboy13":1j231mfx said:
jaydill":1j231mfx said:

Robbie don't breed her own steers. She buys them just like the rest of the high rollers do.
I know she buys a lot of em but I'm pretty sure she's bred a couple herself. She doesn't show all of them at all the shows though, so you may not have seen the ones she's bred. I could be wrong...but I'm pretty sure I'm not! I'll ask.

aplusmnt":1j231mfx said:
Breeding her steers....I would love to see that!
:lol:

Thats true about the shows, however i wasn't refering to them running the shows. They have to tend to all the points coming in from all the shows every weekend, keep them organized and still put out a monthly publication of all the points and advertisements. {{I wouldn't want to tend to all those points and have to keep them updated every week.}}

Well everyboby has there own opinion about business ethics and just ethics in general. Im not saying your right or wrong, but, if he is the founder /owner i guess he can run his business the way he wants to. I think his mom is the founder / owner. I believe she does a super job. She puts her heart and soul into the TJLA, and does it because she wants to. NOT because she has to. If you dont like the going on of the TCCA switch to another species. JUST A THOUGHT.

JTBullRider":2d4m7drg said:
Most of the good work you see at the shows is to the credit of the show management putting on the show. The TCCA does nothing at these jackpot shows besides accept the results, post the points, and take their sanction fee. The do put on a good Fall Classic and Belt Buckle Bonanza each year.

Politics will happen for sure, but anybody with any business ethics at all should see that Ryan pushing Robbie is a HUGE conflict of interest. As a founder/owner of the business he should not be that closely involved in the ambitions of any exhibitor.... but he provides her with cattle, manages her, picks out her clothes, backs her financially, and travels with her. The girl is from McKinney but the checks she writes at the shows is off of a Crockett account. Hmmm..... doesn't Ryan live in Crockett? I have personally witnessed these things as have many others.

These actions are beyond simple politics, it's just a bad and unfair business practice.

You gotta love anything that will potentially keep kids out of trouble.. and showing calves is hard work, but fun, and a good learning experience besides.

Having said that, the politics and cheating are discouraging and frustrating. I have a problem with the "two sets of rules".. one for a certain group, and the other for the rest of the smucks that are not butt kissing.

TheBullLady":11eq4fp3 said:
Having said that, the politics and cheating are discouraging and frustrating. I have a problem with the "two sets of rules".. one for a certain group, and the other for the rest of the smucks that are not butt kissing.
:lol: I like the way you put that. Ultimately, cheating, etc aside...I think it's a good idea to run TCCA. It's an early introduction to what your children will experience for the rest of their lives. There will always be cheaters. They just have to learn to be the ones who work hard and fair for their success. And, though they're young now, you've got scholarship opportunities to look forward to come graduating time.

cowboy13":2ozfja37 said:
MONEY MAKER":2ozfja37 said:
If you dont like the going on of the TCCA switch to another species. JUST A THOUGHT.

cowboy13":2ozfja37 said:
I agree. I love the TCCA.
I have to say I love what the TCCA is about. It's not the TCCA I dislike...more like the parents who will allow their children to cheat just to win.

cowboy13":2p7lh9co said:
jaydill":2p7lh9co said:
MONEY MAKER":2p7lh9co said:
If you dont like the going on of the TCCA switch to another species. JUST A THOUGHT.

I agree. I love the TCCA.
I have to say I love what the TCCA is about. It's not the TCCA I dislike...more like the parents who will allow their children to cheat just to win.

Its the parents cheating, not the kids.

Not sure about this specific situation, but from my past experiance unless the kids are like 10 and under and do not know what is going on, by the time they are in their teens they know what is going on and many times take an active part or willfully will do the cheating themselves. Guess they learn those ways from their parents.

At the last tjla show I went to I was running between showing my heifer and my lamb in both ring A and B. \

The mother is technically the "founder" of the organization but she will tell you FLAT out that Ryan can do whatever he wantsand there is no denying it's a family business.

As far as coordinating points... big deal. They have Scooter as a points coordinator and he earns a salary, part of which members support through dues. The magazine is a gold mine. Go on their site and look at the ad rates, they are making a killing.

I would put my kids in another, more reputable organization IF THERE WAS ONE, but TCCA is the only game in town. The good far outweighs the bad as far as showing goes, so we'll hang in there, but the inside connection is a huge conflict of interest and many of the members deeply resent it, they just don't have anywhere else to go. To suggest that kids that have a passion for cattle "find another species" is just not reasonable.

Ryan is the king of cheaters and it is well documented. The post about the Ft. Worth Star Telegram is about Robbie/Ryan, and the Ruby Red heifer isn't it? And Ryan was banned for life from a major show when he was 16 for doping a steer. I'm okay with the normal politics that happen... it is part of the business. It is the fact that the organization that sanctions the shows and takes a member's money has such an inside advantage that is so bad. [/quote]

Latest posts