Taps

Help Support CattleToday:

Commercialfarmer

Reaction score
Went to a funeral of a buddy's father the other day- a veteran of the Navy. A real character and so much of the funeral was light hearted.

But when the young sailor finished playing Taps on her bugal, I don't think there was a dry eye in the room. I've never heard someone with such skill play a bugal as she did. A simple tune that has a lot of meaning and at an emotional time, but her pure sincere talent was so gentle and captivating that it took the song to another level. It was truly a treasured experience. And the family commented the same.

I wish I could have told her so, but she and her comanding officer were gone.

I just wish that when people sing the national anthem they would show the same respect and not whore it all up

Commercialfarmer":2aw06u2g said:
Went to a funeral of a buddy's father the other day- a veteran of the Navy. A real character and so much of the funeral was light hearted.

But when the young sailor finished playing Taps on her bugal, I don't think there was a dry eye in the room. I've never heard someone with such skill play a bugal as she did. A simple tune that has a lot of meaning and at an emotional time, but her pure sincere talent was so gentle and captivating that it took the song to another level. It was truly a treasured experience. And the family commented the same.

It will get your attention with a reverence like no other. I have heard it played at many family members funerals, the one that stands out above all of them was my BIL funeral.
It was a foggy drizzling day and the sound from the bugle sounded like it was coming at you from all sides.
The entire gathering noticed.
It was beautiful and haunting at the same time.

Dads was pretty unique my sons active unit acted as the honor guard. His grandson folded the flag and presented it to his grandmother

One of the traditions at Texas A&M is "Silver Taps" played in memory of Aggies who have recently passed away from whatever cause. The buglers go up into the dome on the top of the academic building and play it in 3 part harmony. Then the tens of thousands of students all simply leave with not one person even whispering a word. Just total silence. Very touching.

You never know whether the bugler is playing the bugle or just turning it on.
The Ceremonial Bugle ...

is a dignified method of playing Taps at a military funeral when a live bugler is not available for military funeral ceremonies. It was developed in order to provide a solemn visual image and as an alternative to the playing of a recorded version of Taps on a CD/cassette player.

The Ceremonial Bugle was introduced so that veterans' families have a choice on how Taps will be sounded when a live bugler is not available for a military funeral. The families may elect either a CD/cassette version or the Ceremonial Bugle. The Ceremonial Bugle has an electronic insert that enables an individual to "symbolically" play Taps, a more respectful means to honor those who served.

All I have attended used a bugle.
The bugler at my BIL service was the best I ever heard. The lady was Navy as my BIL wished I could have got her for dads service.

hurleyjd":32wlxfty said:
You never know whether the bugler is playing the bugle or just turning it on.
The Ceremonial Bugle ...

is a dignified method of playing Taps at a military funeral when a live bugler is not available for military funeral ceremonies. It was developed in order to provide a solemn visual image and as an alternative to the playing of a recorded version of Taps on a CD/cassette player.

The Ceremonial Bugle was introduced so that veterans' families have a choice on how Taps will be sounded when a live bugler is not available for a military funeral. The families may elect either a CD/cassette version or the Ceremonial Bugle. The Ceremonial Bugle has an electronic insert that enables an individual to "symbolically" play Taps, a more respectful means to honor those who served.

That's really interesting Hurley, and something I would have never guessed. I've been fooled before, but I don't think that was the case here.

I don't pay much attention to ranks and orders and I'm don't think we even discussed it. But the man's son has been in the military going on about 20 years now and so I believe him to be pretty familiar with the situation. If it was a recording, he was fooled as well as he wished to have thanked her too.

He's not a throw his weight around kind of guy. Real humble, but I kinda figured that working in that 5 sided building in D.C. just around the corner from the man that reports directly to the Sec of Defence might had something to do with who was sent when he called.

TB, it wasn't a trumpet. My oldest plays the flute, piano and saxophone. So I've been to a concert, state competition and honor band tryout or three providing me some basic knowledge. That was a large part of what was so compeling to me. Such a simple device, with no keys or holes to alter the pitch, and such a simple song, but perfectly mastered.

People felt they had experienced excellence. So many commented on her.

Like seeing this man play his guitar, but lacking all the reverence.

https://youtu.be/SnSbTqUiGz4

https://youtu.be/uC-0ln6PP2o

You just sometimes know something is special.

Commercialfarmer":35i9463u said:

I recently experienced the same thing with a young AF lady on the bugle. She did a great job.
But it took her and her partner three tries to finally get the flag folded right.
Must have been nerve wracking on her to have to keep doing it over. I was relieved for her when she finally got it.

Commercialfarmer":35sjcl3m said:
TB, it wasn't a trumpet. My oldest plays the flute, piano and saxophone. So I've been to a concert, state competition and honor band tryout or three providing me some basic knowledge. That was a large part of what was so compeling to me. Such a simple device, with no keys or holes to alter the pitch, and such a simple song, but perfectly mastered.

People felt they had experienced excellence. So many commented on her.

Like seeing this man play his guitar, but lacking all the reverence.

https://youtu.be/SnSbTqUiGz4

https://youtu.be/uC-0ln6PP2o

You just sometimes know something is special.

If you saw it, no doubt she was using a bugle and must have done an awesome job. I was just saying that more times than not a trumpet is used and unless you see the player and the instrument, the trumpet can be made to sound exactly like a bugle.

I played trumpet in high school band, and one of the things we did every year was march in the Memorial Day parade, which ended at the cemetery with a ceremony where the little girl scouts placed a wreath on the tomb of an unknown soldier, while a trumpeter played Taps. (Taps is actually a hard song to sound good at--at least it was for me).
My friend (and fellow trumpet player) Mike and I had had a friendly competition for years, going back to when we first took up trumpet in 5th grade. Over the years, we would each try to best each other at periodic auditions for who got to be first chair. In high school, one of the first chair duties was to play Taps at the cemetery on Memorial Day. Senior year, Mike got first chair--I was relieved not to have to face playing Taps.
The week before Memorial Day, and the night before my last day of high school, Mike was killed in an horrific accident (on school grounds, witnessed by many of his friends, including me). Needless to say it was devastating. When we marched in the Memorial Day parade the next week, we left his spot (which was next to me) open in the formation. I was asked to play Taps for the cemetery ceremony (when the wreath was placed at the tomb of an unknown soldier) but knew I would lose it, so a junior, Jon, played it. It's been years but the song is still too painful to me.

"It's a fragile thing, this life we lead.
If I think too much I can get overwhelmed by the grace
By which we live our lives with death over our shoulder." Pearl Jam, "Sirens"

dun":1whpwpcm said:
In the same category in case you missed it earlier: http://www.chonday.com/Videos/anthofius3

Yeah, I'd like to see that in person.

Ryder":1whpwpcm said:
I recently experienced the same thing with a young AF lady on the bugle. She did a great job.
But it took her and her partner three tries to finally get the flag folded right.
Must have been nerve wracking on her to have to keep doing it over. I was relieved for her when she finally got it.

You know, I felt the exact same relief!

She had a slight hickup right at the start, but was able to get the job done. Seemed to be very anxious the whole time she was folding it, as anxious as person can be while being stone faced. I was so anxious for her and couldn't wait to see it completed and handed to the widow.

TexasBred":1whpwpcm said:
If you saw it, no doubt she was using a bugle and must have done an awesome job. I was just saying that more times than not a trumpet is used and unless you see the player and the instrument, the trumpet can be made to sound exactly like a bugle.

That surprises me also. I figured they had pretty specific codes.

Boondocks, that would be hard to see such a close friend pass right in front of you at that age. Would have a lasting impact.

Latest posts