Tankless Hot Water Heater

Help Support CattleToday:

Bamadan

Reaction score
I need to replace the (house) hot water heater at our farm, probably need to add one also. have thought about a tankless water heater, don't really know anything about them. I do know they are high priced. Anyone have experience with them. At our home we have natural gas water heater and we love it, But natural gas is not available at the farm. any thoughts on tankless water heater efficiency, overall cost, hot water production...Thanks

"They say" electricity is cheap here. I priced one, and couldn't tell it would ever pay for itself. Especially if repairs are as costly as the unit. This one was in 2006. I actually went to an energy field day. I was building and needed all new everything.

We have one and it has been trouble free for 13 years. When we got our freeze this year I had to replace a tube fuse. That is all I have had to do. Works great

Without gas, I don't think I would get one. With gas, you are dumb not to. I probably would go so far as to plumb in propane just to have one if I only lived at one place.
I had a Bosch the lasted about 12 years. Now I have had a Rheem for about three. It saves me a fortune because I only stay at my home place for three or so days a week. No reason to keep water hot when you can have it instantly.

"They say" electricity is cheap here. I priced one, and couldn't tell it would ever pay for itself. Especially if repairs are as costly as the unit. This one was in 2006. I actually went to an energy field day. I was building and needed all new everything.
Lots of improvements have been made in 15 years

We have an electric one for our house and we love it. When we rebuild we will be putting one in the new house. The only thing I would add is a recirculation pump.

We've had a propane one now for 6 years. No problems. We do have a water softener as the well water is very hard.
I have a Rennai brand commercial tankless. Won't ever go back to anything else. With a wife and 4 kids and 4 bathrooms I've never had a hot water issue or had to take a cold shower.

Hmm. Never thought of the hard water issue. Suppose that strikes a tankless water heater off of the list for us. Don't have a water softener.

I have two that are propane powered, but they still need electricity for the igniter. I love them both but make sure the installer puts in clean-outs.

When we built our home in 2018, we got a tankless, but we have natural gas-it's great! The builder did mention they wouldn't install electric ones, due to poor performance (didn't get any more in depth than that since it didn't apply to us). It was just an aside, but one I remember-for whatever it's worth.

How many people are in the house? The 'small' Tempra will only serve hot water to 1 faucet at a time. Per the website. It takes (2) 40a. Circuits. And (2) 2 pole breakers. Electrical load wise, it may not require a panel upgrade. Consult a licensed Electrician. The larger Tempra Plus unit, as shown, when you turn on multiple faucets, it puts heater to each, just a smaller flow. And requires a panel change out to a 225a. Panel, (3) 40a. Circuits an (3) 2 pole 40a. Breakers. I spent approximately $900 on the heater and approximately $700 on materials, including breakers, wire, pex pipe and fittings, and brass fittings for the recommended twice a year back flush. I consulted a licensed Electrician, myself, and with just 2 of us at home, I elected not to upgrade the panel. THAT (if I paid someone), would have been approx. $3,500 by itself. Many plumbers do not install electrical units do to these unknowns and plumbers are afraid of electricity. DO consult your local building codes, DO seek advice from a local professional. I am just answering a question as it happened at my house.

Attachments

• 20210821_144306.jpg
    20210821_144306.jpg
    881.4 KB · Views: 7
People we know have had trouble with them. We thought about getting one bit figured we just stick to electric after hearing their problems. Everyone and every items could be different now days. Some folks may get one works great the next get the POS.

Everybody has a different situation of course. But I would never go tankless unless there is no other way around, or it's a very occasional usage. I can heat 60-70 gallon hot water tank in about 30 minutes, turn it off and have hot water for a day or even two. Imagine how much hydro it's going to take to heat same amount of water instantly.

Everybody has a different situation of course. But I would never go tankless unless there is no other way around, or it's a very occasional usage. I can heat 60-70 gallon hot water tank in about 30 minutes, turn it off and have hot water for a day or even two. Imagine how much hydro it's going to take to heat same amount of water instantly.

Idea makes sense of tankless. Some pros and cons. Doesn't have me wanting to throw out our tank. What's wrong with having a tank and how it's always work. Always doesn't run out of hot water. Besides that long hot showers are unhealthy. Researchers say need to have a little cooler-cold to have a stronger immune system. And wash your 🐴 😅🤡

Latest posts