Tank Warmers

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
What kind of Tank warmer would you use on this tank ? I liked the floating warmers and saw the submersible kind and it had a stand you stick it on in bottom of tank so that I guess it doesn't melt the tank. Which is safer? I don't want cows to hit cord knock it off that metal stand and burn a hole in tank.

ResizedImage_1414966201469_zps5771f60c.jpg

I use submersible. A side note, I use it for a lot of things. If you fill a cooler with water, and stick your submersible heater it, and notch a slot in the lid for the cord. You can hear water to about 160 degrees in 30 minutes. It's pretty handy for something's.

The submerisble one I use have a metal cage/rack that fastenes to it so that it is always under it and it's big enough that the heater is always a couple of inches from the sides. I used the floating type once. Cows thought it was a toy and played with it and ended up pulling it out of the tank by the cord so it burned up.

Does your tank have a drain plug? We use the submersible that fits in the drain hole. Element is at the very bottom of the tank, and cord is outside the pen. Kept the tank open at -30 degrees.

skyhightree1":n2i8p077 said:
thanks y'all... any particular brand? Jed what's a tire tank?
I second the tire tanks. It is a loader tire with one side cut out and fill the bottom with concrete to make a water tank. Im sure someone here has a picture of one.

kenny thomas":14oemkcs said:
skyhightree1":14oemkcs said:
thanks y'all... any particular brand? Jed what's a tire tank?
I second the tire tanks. It is a loader tire with one side cut out and fill the bottom with concrete to make a water tank. Im sure someone here has a picture of one.

Those are not portable, right?

Sky, this is that annoying time of year where we have grass to strip graze and our water lines freeze. I end up putting a big tank with drop in heater like you are looking for at the end of the alley and opening the pastures up. Wish I could find a way to heat tanks as we continue to rotate.

jedstivers":1kz7qof8 said:
We use combine tires, no big loaders around here and the combine tire holds plenty.
No not portable but I have seen designs for them. They are to cheap not to but everywhere. I'll text you some pics tomorrow and try and put them here.

http://www.tiretank.com/
http://www.giantrubberwatertanks.com/

I know what you mean all forage and thanks jed

edit yes it has a drain plug

I had one I didn't like much, it didn't have a thermostat,... yes, cows will play with the power cords and any floating deicers!, and will chew through the cords. I got one I think will work well, it's got a thermostat in it, it sits on the bottom, and it has a spring wound around the cord, and the cord is 10' so I can get it out of the corral. I got it from Princess Auto,.. about the equivalent of TSC

One like this as it want freeze unless it gets real cold. These warmers work good, but they are high maintenance.
giant-rubber-watertank2.jpg

Whether tire tanks or fiberglass, for winter use I would recommend bringing the water supply in through the bottom of the tank to protect from freezing. IMO, the type of float pictured sucks any time of year, but especially in winter.

I have both fiberglass and tire tanks with submerged water supply and float valves used successfully @ -30 degrees. Only time I ever had the water valve in the bottom of a tank freeze is once when the float stuck and the cattle drank the tank down. Fortuantely, a little torch got things going again.

I prefer Watson float valves with surface adjust pancake or donut style floats and using a stainless steel chain. Zinc plated steel chain and galvanized pipe fittings are a no-no with my artesian water. Aluminum and brass stand up well.

http://floatvalveusa.com/floatvalve.html valves

http://floatvalveusa.com/floatprices.html floats

What keeps the tire tanks from freezing? Heat from the ground/the tire drawing heat? Id be interested, if there is a good way to clean a tire tank.

Bigfoot":3ppte2pg said:
What keeps the tire tanks from freezing? Heat from the ground/the tire drawing heat? Id be interested, if there is a good way to clean a tire tank.

Tire tanks are quite popular here. I have open top 12' diameter tires in summer pastures that have been used in winter. Chop a hole for the cows to drink and chop the float loose (that means don't hit the float with the ax :p ) and you're good to go. For dedicated winter use, the tank should be covered but left with some way to access the valve if necessary.

I also have 10' round fiberglass tanks. The guy who bought my place covered the top of one of them with bridge plank and piled old hay on top of that. Left one end open and has to chop right where the cattle drink. Blocked off so cold air doesn't get back to the inside of the tank. Don't think he has ever had the float freeze.

I had an 8' diameter tire I put a store-bought pre-cast concrete lid on and left one drinker hole open. Had to chop ice around the drinker hole but the rest of the tank stayed pretty much ice free.

To summarize, with a little daily effort you can find a way to keep a tank operational without additional heat. IMO, even if a tank or waterer has supplemental heat, you ought to check it daily just to make sure it's working correctly.

Bigfoot":1ouhi4fh said:
In all but the coldest part of the country they just don't freeze much. The tire is good and thick, it warms Iup in the day, the float is on the bottom.
We don't clean them but if we wanted to all we have to do is pull a pipe out and it drains. That pipe is also the overflow so it doesn't get nasty around the tank if the float malfunctions.
If in a cold area you can bolt a piece of plywood or horse stall mat across the top and have just a small opening. You can also replace the overflow pipe with one that has a hole drilled in it so you keep water flowing.

I'm quite sure you could make a propane heater.. perhaps a piece of 2" steel pipe with a small propane torch in one end on a 20 lb tank should last quite a while.

We have gravity water with a line buried 6' down, we just use old bathtubs and have some flowing water.. -25C and they work just fine

Latest posts