Take a guess what she might be worth.

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Finally got a one-way ticket bought for my cancer eye fall cow on the tour bus early this morning and sent off on a new adventure. She will sell tomorrow and I'll get the check sometime next week. Until then, hazard a guess what she is worth. My best guess on weight is probably around 1525 lbs. I don't think she has quite enough flesh to go to 1600 lbs. I think the best I can hope for is about $1220 CDN, or $900 US. That is with a small cancer eye discount. Worst case I think is $900 CDN, $650 US. If I remember right, I bought her for $700 as an open breeding heifer in spring of '09 - so guaranteed to get my investment back.

IMG_20160203_171714_zpsz0u9jngc.jpg

IMG_20160118_114248_zpsnhliig4g.jpg

I took one a few years ago bout like that. She looked like that when I unloaded her. When she went through the sale ring apparently it broke loose (bloody) from fighting other cows in the pen. She brought 2 cent a pound. That was some cheap hamburger somebody probably ate at McDonald's. I didn't even get my haul bill out of her. If they will do it, I would have them separate her in the sale barn.

jltrent":35wi7kjb said:
I took one a few years ago bout like that. She looked like that when I unloaded her. When she went through the sale ring apparently it broke loose (bloody) from fighting other cows in the pen. She brought 2 cent a pound. That was some cheap hamburger somebody probably ate at McDonald's. I didn't even get my haul bill out of her. If they will do it, I would have them separate her in the sale barn.

I've always gotten rid of them before the eye is destroyed by the cancer, and do pretty well price-wise. Have seen lots of advanced cases where the eye is gone or nearly covered and they never pay the freight. Your not even supposed to market those that are that far advanced here - just euthanize.

Around here the lowest price for cull cows was $.95/lb last week.. so around here it would be probably in the $1200 range..

Nesikep":3fm5re65 said:
Around here the lowest price for cull cows was $.95/lb last week.. so around here it would be probably in the $1200 range..

Winnipeg was on the ball this week and got their prices updated the day of the sale. Lowest price they reported was $.75/lb for lean cows, so I guess I'll find out this week if that was her or not.

My guess will be about .30 pound or maybe $450 American.

Son of Butch":3fcx9ywy said:
LLBUX":3fcx9ywy said:
My guess will be about .30 pound or maybe $450 American.
LLBUX looks like you were right and I was wrong. IF it was good news it would have been posted by now.

I will post when I get it. Should be in mail tomorrow - mail is slow to get to these backwoods. Rest of you guys live too close to civilization. :p

Got check today. Weighed 1505 lbs and went for $0.59/lb. After all deductions including freight, cleared $762 CDN, which works today to $545 US. Not great but definitely beats a bullet to the head.

I definitely thought she should have brought more, but It could have been worse (it could have been my cow)
Oh Well, the packer has to make a profit too and I'm willing to bet the packer had a higher Net Profit on her carcass than
on most of the fat steers they processed that day.

I just breathed a sigh of relief that I never got the call from the federal animal health inspectors and a $5k fine for shipping a cancer eye animal. Granted she wasn't too far advanced, but when the Feds want to make an example - they do a good job of it.

Latest posts