tail heads

Help Support CattleToday:

lol yeah as far as show cattle go they need a bit of a tail head, in a commercial situation if they have a low ugly tail head it doesn't matter, But with show cattle if their tail head is too low it makes their hip sturcture look off and they just look funny from all angles, but you don't want it to high or to stick out to far ( you really need a pic to describe that one)

You want it to flow with their back, you want them to look like a box from the profile. Get it as square, yet natural looking as possible. Use a lot of adhesive,but not to much especially if you can't cover it up with paint, then you have to be really carefull on how you do it.

Simmishowchick":37kxfb8m said:
You want it to flow with their back, you want them to look like a box from the profile. Get it as square, yet natural looking as possible. Use a lot of adhesive,but not to much especially if you can't cover it up with paint, then you have to be really carefull on how you do it.
Good description

Mine was like that for a while.
just do exactly what he says. After a couple of years he let me go to shows and do all the fitting myself (I already did all the clipping) just be patient and be thankful he's involved. At least you'll always have something to talk about.

Yeah, talk . . . right . . . well he isn't yelling at me. lol. I am always doing something worng. I have fit cattle for other people and they always tell me I am just like my dad, but he is usually never there to see it and he won't let me do my own bc I think he is afraid I may mess up and ruin hair for our next show. lol. That is also the only way we even connect so I think he is trying to keep me dependant on him in some way b/c I m very independant and also in those teen years where I want to do everything by myself. lol. yeah I am a trouble kid. lol.

Simmishowchick":pmk5mmuh said:
Yeah, talk . . . right . . . well he isn't yelling at me. lol. I am always doing something worng. I have fit cattle for other people and they always tell me I am just like my dad, but he is usually never there to see it and he won't let me do my own bc I think he is afraid I may mess up and ruin hair for our next show. lol. That is also the only way we even connect so I think he is trying to keep me dependant on him in some way b/c I m very independant and also in those teen years where I want to do everything by myself. lol. yeah I am a trouble kid. lol.
I feel your pain. But it will end

what should a good tail head look like?

The ideal tail head should be straight with the back. When you clip it, it should slope up slightly so when your calf walks it doesn't look like he drops off from hooks to pins. The back of the tail head should be straight with the back of the tail of course. You want to put tail adhesive in it to make it stand up and make your calf look square. After the adhesive, spray on some black finisher to cover up the adhesive.

Angus Cattle Girl":3207p2c9 said:
what should a good tail head look like?

The ideal tail head should be straight with the back. When you clip it, it should slope up slightly so when your calf walks it doesn't look like he drops off from hooks to pins. The back of the tail head should be straight with the back of the tail of course. You want to put tail adhesive in it to make it stand up and make your calf look square. After the adhesive, spray on some black finisher to cover up the adhesive.

We use Red Angus and start with cattle that are square! ;-)

The silly thing about the tailhead thing is they should at least be in line with the topline, a little downward slope is good reproductively. Usually cattle that slope from hooks to pins are very muscular or have the back wheels that aren't as nice to look at.

Tailheads have seem to be the fun fitters have making them look outrageous!

i kno exactly how you feel when your dad thinks your doing everything wrong! but once i tell him how i feel he lets me do it. i think he likes to lead my calves and stuff because he loves them just as much as i do. we're so much alike we just butt heads! :lol: try telling him that you kno how to do it and prove it to him!! hopefully he'll get the point ;-)

Latest posts