Tags

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
OK here is an odd question...

I am looking for old tags. Tags that have the hole for a button, only i do not want the button. I am going to nail it with a shingle nail to my beehives for ID purposes. Queen rearing, testing for disease and mites and problems, and for when replacing queens. Anybody have old tags they do not use anymore?

Thanks

RR

You know, that's not a bad idea. My buddy has his main operation(yard, extraction, storage) on my place and he normally uses grease pencils. But if you use tage you wich hive is where, which ones need requeended, when they were last split etc. Good idea, ill tell him about it if you don't mind.
Also, he is getting ready to make splits, and if you need any 5 frame nukes, let me know. His main operation is nukes and honey. He used to do the pollenation, mainly the almond in CA, but he is doing better with his current operation.....especially after the CCD came up. How are yours doing on that side? Seems most of the country is coming out of it and starting to rebuild. Strong hives survived.

rockridgecattle":2rubazgb said:
OK here is an odd question...

I am looking for old tags. Tags that have the hole for a button, only i do not want the button. I am going to nail it with a shingle nail to my beehives for ID purposes. Queen rearing, testing for disease and mites and problems, and for when replacing queens. Anybody have old tags they do not use anymore?

Thanks

RR

I could send you a bunch. DH's dad had all kinds of blank tags, most of which we will never use.

Randi, thank you! When is your trip to Winnipeg? Which hospital are you going to? My sister in law works at the Vic...is that where you are going? If not, can you send them COD? Thank you. I will pm you with my mailing address. Thanks alot!

Hookline, feel free to use the idea, it is not mine. The university came out here to do some testing to see what issues are in our province. The want to take a cross sample from each area of the province that has bees. So i was selected in our area (i am the only one in the area...lol).
Thanks for the nucs offer, however there is great difficulty getting the bees across the border. Let your friend know there is a shortage of bees in the almonds right now.
Ours are still alive at last check, however still atleast 6-8 weeks before we can start working them

Have a good day!

RR

Sorry :oops: . I have used some in the garden marking rows. Where I work they use them to mark the haystacks (which field, date, etc). I also use them at work (their un-used/old tags) for marking many of the plants. I get a bunch of hangers from the uniform bin, then cut them and bend them to make hooks which sink part-way into the ground and hang the tag at the top.

How many do you need? Maybe I could scare some up for you.

Katherine

I must be the only cheap one. I keep reusing tags until the finally disappear somewhere

dun":32ba3i9s said:
I must be the only cheap one. I keep reusing tags until the finally disappear somewhere

Nope. I'll help you row that boat. Better yet, you row, and I'll patch the leaks and bail the water.

As a kid, I used to walk through the sales yard and pick up fallen out and cut out tags that I could see in the alleys and dirt, take them home, wash them up, throw them in some alcohol and reuse them. Sometimes I got lucky and got enough of one complete set to do a whole string of steer calves. Now that is how you do cheap. ;-) :cowboy:

Well, unfortunately, we do not have any used tags. We use z tags for on farm id purposes and they do not have buttons. And the retention is very high. And the RFID buttons are just too plain expensive. Even though the dangle RFID are no longer accepted, we were pretty stingy on the #'s we bought and used right away. So no left overs here. Even if we did have a couple that had the id markers on them, I would not put them on the hives for fear of someone stealing the tag.

rockridgecattle":2p7og7aj said:
Well, unfortunately, we do not have any used tags. We use z tags for on farm id purposes and they do not have buttons. And the retention is very high. And the RFID buttons are just too plain expensive. Even though the dangle RFID are no longer accepted, we were pretty stingy on the #'s we bought and used right away. So no left overs here. Even if we did have a couple that had the id markers on them, I would not put them on the hives for fear of someone stealing the tag.

You might want to check around for RFID ear tags, although Canada does not have a huge selection of tag manufactures to choose from, you can haggle with resellers, depending on the qty's you're looking at. The CCIA is enforcing the no dangle tags extensively. You can send me an email, could possibly help you identify the resellers in Canada.

http://livestock-id.blogspot.com