Tagging Calfs

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
With calving season comes tags. We have issues in the past with tags not being quite legible so i was wondering if anyone knows of a stencil or something that would fit onto a tag? this way it doesn't matter who makes up the tags, they will all be the same.

You could always get tags of a different color with numbers that match the momma cows # also I would use a markers specifically made for etching tags, the lettering will remain legible much longer than using a permanent marker

You could make your own, with a piece of cardboard. I have never heard of a commercial one. Also, look in an arts and crafts store, you might find something there.

I pay a lot of attention to making my numbers/letters look good, I think it reflects how much attention is given to raising the animals when the tags are nice.

If you have trouble, just get pre-printed tags and you'll never have a problem.. they stay legible indefinitely as well.

Nesikep":bq3n1moc said:
If you have trouble, just get pre-printed tags and you'll never have a problem.. they stay legible indefinitely as well.

Well that part isn't true. ha Tag makers make a good name for themselves and then seem to cut quality - likely to sell more tags. Everyone from A-Z so to speak.

I've found the DEstron-Feering super mak markers to last the longest. They etch into the tag. I use 2 coats and they're still legible 5-6 years later

Seems like even on the pre-printed tags the factory ink fades. Only way to keep them from fading is to put them in a cow with real hairy ears. Either way you still can't read them.

Start with the maxi tags, the bigger the better. They look dumb on calves, but their ears grow. Use up the whole tag for your numbers, bigger numbers are easier to read. I find the liquid ink in bottles lasts longer than the pens. You just have to be carful when squeezing your bottles so as not to "blob" the ink. Try different bottles, some ink will burn into the tag different than others, as well different tags react to different inks. My favorite bottle of tag ink is no longer made, I am not sure what was in the ink, but it would burn so deep into the Allflex tags that you could almost read the number on the back side. I am not sure you would want to use a stencil as that would smear the ink under the stencil. I am not the neatest of printers, but I take my time when making my tags.

What I do is use Allflex tags with a Allflex pen for all the calves. The Ink is still there and readable when my replacement heifers are a year old. I believe they would last a long time. But, when I decide to keep one she gets a Ritchey tag. All my mature cattle have Ritchey tags. :cboy: B&G

The tags you mark yourself work the first time, after than the ink wont really stay. We remark ours twice a year when we get them up to worm and vaccinate. Sometimes you can read it, sometimes not.....we tattoo their ears with their number so i always know who the cow is if i can look in her ear. The marks stays long enough till next marking, sometimes. We never tag a calf unless its had problems..

We sell the Destron Fearing tags, you can get them blank, pre-numbered or custom tags. We also sell the 840 tags.
http://www.compositebeef.com or http://www.dairycattleregistry.com we try to be very competitive on pricing and all tags are shipped FOB from Destron directly to you.

On the custom tag below, the first line we can put the state like MO USA
This tag is how we have figured out to use them for the 840 numbers. Since the USDA controls those numbers the 840 is the country code for the USA, so we can use USA. The rest of the 840 number is 12 characters, which we also use for the registration number, we break it down into groups of 4 numbers. We can put any registration number in this position though.

The next line on the left is the dams herd number and then on the right is the calf's date of birth. The next line we can put the name of the sire or his semen code number. We have one customer who uses 2 tags, one tag has the sires name and then the tag for the other ear has the sires stud code number.

Then the last line is the management number for the animal.
XLF_CSTM_SMPL.png

cowgirl8":1cxxhybz said:
The tags you mark yourself work the first time, after than the ink wont really stay. We remark ours twice a year when we get them up to worm and vaccinate. Sometimes you can read it, sometimes not.....we tattoo their ears with their number so i always know who the cow is if i can look in her ear. The marks stays long enough till next marking, sometimes. We never tag a calf unless its had problems..
You're not using the right ink, the ink on my tags outlasts the tag itself, most of the time the button breaks and the cow looses the tag, hence we backup with metal ketcham tags in the ear. Cows get brisket tags, but retain the ear tag, as long as it stays, to identify the mother cow.

Latest posts