calfs fed fake milk not growing?

Help Support CattleToday:

taylor may

Reaction score
Hi, since my riding cow died giving berth while I was away I'm going back to my dads farm to raise her baby, though I've noticed all of the calfs fed fake milk seem to not really grow.. at all. theres been about five (their parents kicked them away because they had twins and would only take one) and they didn't grow with the rest of the calfs and stayed small, we feed them twice a day, though they are beef cattle so they are only around for so long, though, of course since the baby is a girl if it can grow properly it will stay, so my question is will they start to grow after a certain amount of time? are we doing something wrong? or do they just grow slower?

What kind of milk replacer are you feeding and do they have access to a calf starter type of grain? They need milk and milk byproducts replacer NO SOY! iIt should be a minimum of 20% fat 20% protein. They also need to have access to a calf starter type of grain. 16% minimum rotein and should be eating a couple of pounds a day by the time they are weaned at 6 weeks or more.

dun":2lnao3gt said:
What kind of milk replacer are you feeding and do they have access to a calf starter type of grain? They need milk and milk byproducts replacer NO SOY! iIt should be a minimum of 20% fat 20% protein. They also need to have access to a calf starter type of grain. 16% minimum rotein and should be eating a couple of pounds a day by the time they are weaned at 6 weeks or more.
not sure I've heard of starter grain, I'll have to let them know, I'm also not sure what type of milk replacer it is as I'm going to catch a plane there in a few hours so I can find out then but I will definitely show them this, thank you.

The replacer I've used, with the most success, is Cow's Match, made by Land-O-Lakes. It is not cheap, but it is an all milk & milk product replacer.

As for starter feeds, the local co-op/feed store should have at least one type or more. Generally they are a "sweet feed" type of starter grains. As dun stated, minimum of 16% protein. Access to good grass, hay and fresh clean water is also beneficial.

taylor may":2sygpjn5 said:
Hi, since my riding cow died giving birth while I was away I'm going back to my dads farm to raise her baby,
though I've noticed all of the calfs fed fake milk seem to not really grow.. at all.
Sorry for your loss Taylor.
I'll second Land O' Lakes Cow Match as an excellent product.
I prefer 18% textured sweet feed, always have clean fresh water available and forget about offering hay for the 1st
6-8 weeks. Hopefully the calf will grow up to be a big strong replacement rider for you.

Workinonit Farm":1fzl65vf said:
The replacer I've used, with the most success, is Cow's Match, made by Land-O-Lakes. It is not cheap, but it is an all milk & milk product replacer.

As for starter feeds, the local co-op/feed store should have at least one type or more. Generally they are a "sweet feed" type of starter grains. As dun stated, minimum of 16% protein. Access to good grass, hay and fresh clean water is also beneficial.

I agree- Land-O-Lakes makes a good milk replacer-- and as soon as I can I start putting out a little rolled grain with molasses on it.. Rolled oats is great if you have it- if not just buy a bag of COB (corn, oats, barley mix) with molasses on it..
You wouldn't believe how young they will take to that- and then eventually you can switch them over to grower pellets that have all the minerals and vitamins ..

Son of Butch":1q1sdfg0 said:
taylor may":1q1sdfg0 said:
Hi, since my riding cow died giving birth while I was away I'm going back to my dads farm to raise her baby,
though I've noticed all of the calfs fed fake milk seem to not really grow.. at all.
Sorry for your loss Taylor.
I'll second Land O' Lakes Cow Match as an excellent product.
I prefer 18% textured sweet feed, always have clean fresh water available and forget about offering hay for the 1st
6-8 weeks. Hopefully the calf will grow up to be a big strong replacement rider for you.

I second that! I've had great luck with Cows Match and calf starter sweet feed. The best around here is Intensity, I believe. I'm not one to be shy with feed though. My twin bottle calves have all ended up being bigger/fatter than their siblings who stayed on the cow.

Latest posts