T&S Trip hooper

Help Support CattleToday:

Outrigger, I see more and more of these down here in Texas. The work well for folks that have a feed dealer with bulk feed facilities. Ordinarily you can save enough on the cost of the feed to make them pay for themselves over a few years. Good friend has one that holds a little over a ton. He puts out what he wants then just parks it in the barn til the next day and so on. To me the smaller ones that go behind the cab of your truck don't hold that much and the labor of filling them with bagged feed is just as much as hand feeding.

I've looked at them a few times and would love to have one that goes on the back of my truck but they're kinda pricey. Another thing I don't like is that means the truck has to go thru those fields each day, when it gets muddy that could be a problem. On the other hand, it sure would be nice to have a little sheet metal between myself and a bunch of pushy cows.

cfpinz

i agree with the mud issue. some of the pastures have heavy use areas and deep mud is not a problem. i think they make a feeder that will hold up to 3500#, but that probably depends on the type of feed.

Outrigger

I have a 750# trip hopper mounted on a 2 wheel trailer. Pull it with a Suzuki Samurai. This combo works very well. Makes it real easy to put out the right amount of feed for each group of cattle.

Texas PaPaw":28lg1e4z said:
Outrigger

I have a 750# trip hopper mounted on a 2 wheel trailer. Pull it with a Suzuki Samurai. This combo works very well. Makes it real easy to put out the right amount of feed for each group of cattle.

Thought about doing the same thing to pull behind our atv. But after some weight considerations and the fact that it's anything but flat here I decided against it. Would have made an interesting story for the Darwin awards.

cfpinz

cfpinz":16wwf06l said:
Texas PaPaw":16wwf06l said:
Outrigger

Thought about doing the same thing to pull behind our atv. But after some weight considerations and the fact that it's anything but flat here I decided against it. Would have made an interesting story for the Darwin awards.

cfpinz

pinz

I think you are right. The 750# on a trailer would be like the tail waggin' the dog with an ATV. They do make a 300# Trip Hopper jr which would probably be about right for a trailer behind an atv.

Have a friend with a 84 Blazer w/removable top. Took off the top and mounted 750# trip hopper crossways. Can feed in troughs or on the ground.

we have the 1500# on the back of the truck. our feed is pelleted, and it was a little tricky getting the right amount of feed to come out. the first trip was about 12-15#, then it averaged out. sure does take less time to feed in the mornings

I have the 2500# model that works very well it is on the back of a 3/4 ton dodge with a homemade flat bed on it. I've used the trip feeder for about 2 years and the only problem that I have had was the trip counter locked up not long after getting it and T&S mailed me a new one free of charge. if you feed calves daily like I do it is a great investment it will cut your feeding time in half if not more I couldn't imagin feeding up with a ATV and 5gal. buckets again.

Latest posts