Syrup

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Finished the last batch of cane syrup this weekend. Its a lot of work but in the end the smiles on people's faces when you hand them a bottle and say Merry Christmas makes its worth the effort.

TYewhIEl.jpg

Jo what do you use for a press. Our family had a big set of cast iron rolls that was powered by a horse or mule walking a circle while attached to a pole! Someone sat and fed the bare stalks in and the juice ran into a tub. That syrup was one of the only ''cash'' income sources, when my dad was small. They quit making syrup in the late 40's because the mkt. was not around anymore and the free help was not available. I would like to have some ''sorghum'' cookies like my Aunt used to make. :nod:

We use the same thing. Have used a donkey to pull it but he got ornery and became nuisance and it went on to a better place. This year we used a little garden tractor. Never made any sorghum syrup but I imagine making it is much the same as the cane syrup. This year we used ribbon and red cane. The yield from the ribbon cane was better but the color of the red was much nicer in my opinion but all were good.

Growing up in South Alabama late 40-early 50's, syrup making was a community event. Large landowner had
large vat approx 4 X 8 ft heavy metal in dedicated shed. Smaller operations use circular cast iron cooker. many of
the cast cookers still used that are today as cattle water troughs. These are still called syrup kettles today in my home area. Each family generally had a cane patch, harvested
and brought to cane mill, was pressed, cooked down by community volunteers on shares with landowner. Most
grew the green cane for was more prolific, but the ribbon cane and red cane made best syrup. The skimmings (foam)
was collected in barrels until full then fed to the hogs. By then it had begun to ferment. Did You know that a drunk
hog squeals 24-7. Loved the fresh cold cane juice. Jo wish I was in Your area, need a small bottle that syrup. Supposedly a small operation in Dothan, Al does decent job making homemade syrup.
w. Lamar Parmer, DVM

Here it is still a community event for the most part. Granted the ranks are a lot slimmer during the cutting than at the cook. Its a lot of work but if there are a lot of people then the work turns to fun.

Yep the stripping and cutting, then heeling in, (the covering with the cane fodder) to prevent freezing
until syrup time, was work. Amazing when I think back how many these old sustenance techniques
are totally gone along with most the equipment. In that era peanuts were stacked around poles, then
to a stationary picker. Harvesting generally not complete til mid-late Nov, peanuts and corn. So, syrup
making occurred early winter, after crop harvest. Guess we were big syrup eaters, all was sealed in
1 gal metal cans. A gallon can with a bail when I grew up was always called a syrup bucket.
w lamar parmer

Its a shame to see it forgotten. I try to teach my children what little I know. Its a lot of work but when done right it can be a lot of fun.

Jogeephus":125ej3m8 said:
Finished the last batch of cane syrup this weekend. Its a lot of work but in the end the smiles on people's faces when you hand them a bottle and say Merry Christmas makes its worth the effort.

TYewhIEl.jpg

Wow I haven't seen anyone make syrup since my grandpa.
He put up 365 gallons for the family then us grandkids toted many a gallon to needy families.

Jogeephus":3jstudtb said:
We use the same thing. Have used a donkey to pull it but he got ornery and became nuisance and it went on to a better place. This year we used a little garden tractor. Never made any sorghum syrup but I imagine making it is much the same as the cane syrup. This year we used ribbon and red cane. The yield from the ribbon cane was better but the color of the red was much nicer in my opinion but all were good.

How about this setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cDX22_6jUo

hurleyjd":3djan9sk said:
Jogeephus":3djan9sk said:

How about this setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cDX22_6jUo

I think I'd be scared of that but it looks like its getting the job done. I have a friend who has one that is driven from a large belt that hooks to an old tractor. It works well.

My boyhood, many tried other methods. tractors, gas engines, nothing surpassed ol' wore out mule.
That cane juice for teen boy early winter. PRICELESS
w lamar parmer

This is going to sound completely ignorant, but what do you folks use cane syrup for???? Is it like maple syrup is for us northerners? Something to put over pancakes and waffles, and sweeten other things????

Boot Jack Bulls":3oer354n said:
This is going to sound completely ignorant, but what do you folks use cane syrup for???? Is it like maple syrup is for us northerners? Something to put over pancakes and waffles, and sweeten other things????

All the above. It is good on buttered toast. Anything goes good with sorghum molasses or syrup.

wlamarparmer":20pg5m3l said:
My boyhood, many tried other methods. tractors, gas engines, nothing surpassed ol' wore out mule.
That cane juice for teen boy early winter. PRICELESS
w lamar parmer

Did you ever ferment it or the skimmings? While we were cooking this off I noticed some of the younger people carrying on that tradition.

Bright Raven":1kafffjh said:
Don't throw any of your "Danger Will Robinson" jerky in it.

I bet you make a hot version. :cry:

:lol2: :lol2: Nah but if you remember the sweetness of the $2 Pistol this was from this syrup and tupelo honey.

Boot Jack Bulls":q73ner34 said:

Yes, it would be our version of your maple syrup and like your real maple syrup this hasn't been cut like the commercial stuff.

Latest posts