Synthetic saddles

Help Support CattleToday:

TAMARACKREG

Reaction score
So I'm getting a new saddle. Had a Wintec western all-rounder, it was comfortable and held up well too. Abetta saddles have caught my eye. Both are in the same price catagory.
I'd like some opinions. Who makes the best western style synthetic saddle for heavy use trail riding? Wintec, Abetta, or maybe another?

TAMARACKREG":3i6lsg3a said:
So I'm getting a new saddle. Had a Wintec western all-rounder, it was comfortable and held up well too. Abetta saddles have caught my eye. Both are in the same price catagory.
I'd like some opinions. Who makes the best western style synthetic saddle for heavy use trail riding? Wintec, Abetta, or maybe another?

I guess I don't understand why you would choose a synthetic saddle over a regular one? Could you help me understand? Thanks.

I purchased a coradura saddle two years ago because I was tired of lugging around the old heavy leather one. It is very lightweight and easy to lift. It is great for short pleasure rides but it definitely wouldn't hold up under working conditions. I have decided I prefer the leather one, it is more comfortable and I feel more secure on it.

My wife also purchase a synthetic saddle a couple of years ago. She hated how heavy her Circle Y was, rode in the synthetic for about two weeks and went back to the Circle Y and never complained about it being too heavy again. Although I don't know why she switch back.

Alan

I choose a synthetic because I feel that dollar for dollar in my price range (brand name, quality - not the junk stuff) I can get a good saddle that requires almost no upkeep or attention. Someday I would like to own a top of the line, perfectly fitted leather saddle but it ain't in the cards for now. Single parent + single income = no money + no time. This thread was not intended as a synthetic vs. leather debate, but a poll would be interesting. Someone needed Christmas money so I picked up a used Fabtron in a deal where I can't go wrong.
Thanks for the responses and merry Christmas to you and yours.

I don't know much about synthetic saddles, and what I have seen around here is pretty much junk, so I was simply looking for some input on them. Thanks for the clarification, I appreciate it. Merry Christmas! :)

TAMARACKREG":1plogmut said:
I choose a synthetic because I feel that dollar for dollar in my price range (brand name, quality - not the junk stuff) I can get a good saddle that requires almost no upkeep or attention. Someday I would like to own a top of the line, perfectly fitted leather saddle but it ain't in the cards for now. Single parent + single income = no money + no time. This thread was not intended as a synthetic vs. leather debate, but a poll would be interesting. Someone needed Christmas money so I picked up a used Fabtron in a deal where I can't go wrong.
Thanks for the responses and merry Christmas to you and yours.

First off Merry Christmas to you also!

I don't think the thread was so much comparing the two types of saddles as much as stating that the majority of people who responded didn't like the synthetic saddles for what ever reason. The Circle Y she went back to was a $250 used saddle we picked up out of the paper. But she has also has a semi Quarter Horse leather, (that we don't have any horses that fits it), a Wintec all purpose, and then my saddle, so we have had alot of trail and error. The key to any saddle is to get it broke in right...miles in the saddle.

Merry Christmas
Alan

The synthetic saddles I have seen all seem like cheap pieces of junk. I bought a saddle by riders choice for $410 and that included shipping. Great saddle. For that price the leather is great and it's comfortable too. I've also heard of people that have taken them to local saddle makers and said they couldn't make the saddle for less than $1000.

Here is a link to them on ebay. Instead of bidding you can just call the company direct and they will ship it out to you. I think I got mine in about 3 or 4 days.

http://stores.ebay.com/Riders-Choice-Saddle-Pad-Co

Josh

I had a synthetic saddle for years for various horses, and I loved it. I bought it because with me being short, it was so much easier to lift up onto any horse. I used it for local showing as well, using fabric spray paint to freshen it up. I don't remember the brand, it was from Chick's, and it lasted forever.

Latest posts