syncing cows

Help Support CattleToday:

dyates

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to sync cows for natural cover? I have a couple of small farms rented and neither will support enough cows to justify a dedicated bull. I don't like the AI option because of inexperience and the supposed low conception rate, plus the lack of good facilities. I'm just wondering if I could sync cows to get an ultra-short breeding season via natural cover. Each farm only has 8-10 cows. Ideally, I would like to have a 3 week season on one farm and then move the bull to another location for another 3 week season.

Only one problem with the concept of moving the bull every 3 weeks, what about the cows that fail to settle from their only service?

I see your point. What is the normal interval between heats if not settled? I'm thinking 17days, but I can't remember.

19-21 days Maybe you could sync them up and leave the bull for a mounth catch the ones that didn't breed on the first round anything not breed on second heat may be better off going to town

Are you going to sync them up day by day. If you sync them all for the same day. Your gonna wear the poor boy out and get no coverage. I only breed AI one time then send them out for natural service. I set the cows up day by day. I will set up 3 to come in heat on the same day. I should only have 1 that I miss and comes back in heat. If I AIed all on the same day and then sent them out to come back on the same day. My bull would probably only get 1 or 2 then walk around in stupor for the rest of the day.

dyates":1syan303 said:
Has anyone ever tried to sync cows for natural cover? I have a couple of small farms rented and neither will support enough cows to justify a dedicated bull. I don't like the AI option because of inexperience and the supposed low conception rate, plus the lack of good facilities. I'm just wondering if I could sync cows to get an ultra-short breeding season via natural cover. Each farm only has 8-10 cows. Ideally, I would like to have a 3 week season on one farm and then move the bull to another location for another 3 week season.

I would do nothing other than provide mineral.
Leave him at the first farm 25 days, than 25 day second and repeat.
I would bet beans to dollars that with just 8 cows at a farm you will get almost all bred on the first go around and whatever is left the second.

Lots of hauling but such is life with the new modern farm.

Save your money, forget the drugs.

Thanks everyone. I'll probably just forget about it. Right now, I calve one bunch in the spring, the other in the fall. I'd really like to get away from fall calving altogether.

I had a situation like yours a few years ago, several small groups of cows spread around in different places. I had an Angus bull that had been shown some at the time & was used to riding in a trailer. I got him taught to come over in the pasture field and jump in the trailer to go to the next bunch of cows. It was funny, & I got to show him off doing it to a few neighbors who could hardly believe that he would load himself to go on to the next breeding bunch. I never fooled him, he always got new receptive girlfriends until the last ride...........

Latest posts