Synchronizing Eztrus

Help Support CattleToday:

KYFarmKid

Reaction score
We are thinking about using A.I this spring on our commercial heard to increase our genetic pool for replacement heifers. We are unable to be around cattle enough to catch them in standing heat, so we have been looking into ways to synchronizes them. Is there one method that you guys have found to increase your consumption rate?
Thank you for the help.
Any other suggestions you might have on A.I would be greatly appreciative; especially minerals and vaccinations you use to accompany your A.I.

Consumption rate??.. ... any way....there is lots of information available but " lute" can be used to force heat in order to AI a cow.

I'm just now learning how to set one up. I start on a Wednesday so my tech will be available on Saturday.

Wed- Placement of CIDR and 2cc of Cystorelin (GnRH)
7 Days later- Pull CIDR and inject 6cc of Lutalyse
72 hours later (or 12 hours after observed standing heat) breed and inject 2 cc of Cystorelyn
Cross your fingers.

lute will bring them into heat but in a 5 day span with around 50 to 60% so if you cant watch them its not good.
The 7 day works great if your gonna do timed AI follow slicks method the only difference I only use 5cc of Lute, if your gonna do heifers along with cows pull the cidrs on the heifers 8 or so hours later that way you can time AI them all at once I would use 66hrs, but if you can watch them for a day and a half, and whoever will breed them for you, patch them and breed accordingly.
the 14 day works great on heifers if you have enough to do but with only a few it gets to be time consuming. with the 14 day don't breed them on the heat after you pull the cidr its not a good heat.
All of it will depend on how many and who is doing the breeding if a tech is going to do it follow there recommendation.

A good loose-mineral is never a bad idea. As for vaccines, just your usual respiratory plus vibrio/lepto, and 8-way, along with whatever specific diseases you have in your area. Your vet is really the best person to ask. Make sure you use a killed vaccine if you're giving shots close to the time that you AI. Also, make sure that all of the cows are AT LEAST 45 days post-calving, and are in good body condition. If they are thin (BCS 4.5 or less), you'll just be throwing your money away. If you have to, just make a short-list of your best candidates and AI those. It will give you a good starting point for next year, and you should end up with a better conception rate.

The last two years I have done the 7 day protocol for a timed AI breeding on heifers. On Thursday I inserted CIRD's and gave a GnRH shot. The following Thursday I pulled the CIRD's and gave a shot of lute. We bred them 54 hours later and gave another shot of GnRH. Last year we hit 69% success rate. This year it was about 50%. For me the cost was right at $50 a head. That is $10 each for CIDR, about $10 a head for the drugs, $20 for the semen, and $10 a head for the AI tech.

I've had better luck using the 5 day CIDR synch protocol on heifers and mature cows. The follicular wave is just too sporadic in heifers to get a good response to the 7 day protocol. Some will come in perfectly others won't. The downside with the 5 day is the second shot of PGF2a that you have to give 12 hours after you pull the CIDR. It's more work but it really tightens everyone up closely.

bse":zno21mf3 said:
lute will bring them into heat but in a 5 day span with around 50 to 60% so if you cant watch them its not good.
The 7 day works great if your gonna do timed AI follow slicks method the only difference I only use 5cc of Lute, if your gonna do heifers along with cows pull the cidrs on the heifers 8 or so hours later that way you can time AI them all at once I would use 66hrs, but if you can watch them for a day and a half, and whoever will breed them for you, patch them and breed accordingly.
the 14 day works great on heifers if you have enough to do but with only a few it gets to be time consuming. with the 14 day don't breed them on the heat after you pull the cidr its not a good heat.
All of it will depend on how many and who is doing the breeding if a tech is going to do it follow there recommendation.

This is what I do also and we usually average 75%-85% (7 out of the last 8 years....one bad year
of 50%..... That was a bad drought year but that might not have been the reason.

I will be pulling CIDR and injecting lute sunday night, we are doing a 7 day. Planning on AI Wednesday afternoon.

Fingers and toes crossed. Our tech is with ABS, and they have had the most success with 7 day according to him.

Latest posts