synch vs natural heat

Help Support CattleToday:

townfarmer

Reaction score
I'm very shortly hoping to introduce AI to our cattle breeding. I'm doing a course in a couple of weeks. My plan was to then synch all our cattle and attempt to AI. I was recently speaking to someone who has a large seedstock operation and uses a lot of AI. They made the observation that in their experience they see a big difference in the quality of calf between natural heat and a synched heat. Their experience is that calves from a synched heat were of poorer quality than those from a natural heat. His theory being that with a natural heat the uteris is in a better initial state for growing an embryo. This is obviously just anecdotal but i'm wondering if others have similar observations or if there is any real research on this?

Andrew

Same opinion as whitecow. There is too much AI Synch and this just simply isn't so.

On another note, how many cows do you plan to synch? Just going to school you won't want to do very many unless you have someone help you that has some breeding experience. Your arm will give out.

I don't think that it will alter the quality of the calf at all. I however will say you will usually get a stronger heat out of a natural heat compared to synch heat. If you can catch them in natural heat I think you'll have a higher percentage take but it takes a lot of time and observation for that to happen. And if your like some farmers today you work another job and it is tough to watch that. So the synch heat could be beneficial in that matter. I always prefer a natural heat when possible tho

cbcr":m1p0ykd9 said:
Same opinion as whitecow. There is too much AI Synch and this just simply isn't so.

On another note, how many cows do you plan to synch? Just going to school you won't want to do very many unless you have someone help you that has some breeding experience. Your arm will give out.

We only have 12. Hopefully the arm will be okay.

OhioFarmer87":m1p0ykd9 said:
I don't think that it will alter the quality of the calf at all. I however will say you will usually get a stronger heat out of a natural heat compared to synch heat. If you can catch them in natural heat I think you'll have a higher percentage take but it takes a lot of time and observation for that to happen. And if your like some farmers today you work another job and it is tough to watch that. So the synch heat could be beneficial in that matter. I always prefer a natural heat when possible tho

I live a couple of hours from the property and work a full time job so synch will be the practical way to go for us.

Andrew

I think the reason why the seedstock producer made that observation could be the quality of the cow and what type of nutrition that cow was getting. There could be a correlation between natural heats and higher quality calves, but there are too many variables to assume causation. Maybe that cow came into a natural heat because she had access to a mineral block at the time, and the synch cows didn't? Maybe that cow is just a superior mother? Maybe there were different sires involved? It is possible that his calves from natural heats are higher quality, but it is not safe to assume it is because of the natural heat.

On another note, you will have a significantly higher success rate off natural heats. (Which could be another variable, maybe they use the best bull they can afford on every cow for her first heat, and then a lower quality bull for each following heat, and the cows that come into natural heat first are more likely to be carrying a calf from a superior bull?)

either they stick or they dont , there will be no effect on the quality of the calf based on heat . way to many done now and to many studies that would have been made known if they were anything like this going on

polledbull":40oy9dsm said:
either they stick or they dont , there will be no effect on the quality of the calf based on heat . way to many done now and to many studies that would have been made known if they were anything like this going on
After conception the following 9 months of pregnancy would influence the calf more than anything.

Latest posts