Synch protcols

Help Support CattleToday:

Sd1030

Reaction score
What protcol do yall use in synching cattle to be bred? This is all new to me and was curious as to what method is the best to use?

There is no "best". After messing with CIDRs and the multiple trips through the chute, we went back to our old standby. GnRH followed in 7 days with Lute and breed on observed heats. Of the 8 we did, 1 may have come back into heat but it was weird because it wasn;t anywhere near the right time for a heat and she had already missed 2 heats.

Dun correct me if im wrong but they method you use saves one trip through the chute vs the shots and cidr method? The cidr method is the method the people i help use.

Don;t recall the number of trips through the chute. About half the time we give the shots while the cows are standing around in a holding area. Very few need to go through the chute for shots, just for the AI.

Gotcha, i suspect since this is new to my cattle id have trouble just giving shots in the holding area.

Sd1030":lu55apzd said:
Gotcha, i suspect since this is new to my cattle id have trouble just giving shots in the holding area.
For just shots you can run them into an alleyway and just give the shots as you walk past them down the line. That's how we do the boosters for the weaned calves.

Yes Dun is right. I think the drug companies have got us brainwashed into thinking that we have to spend a penny with them and buy a cidr to get them synched. Unfortunately I will probably shove the cidrs in in September as I don't dare do anything different as I am having good success with what I do. I won't tell you the program I use as you don't have access to the oestrogen drug Ciderol that we use here. What I have found though is to tweak the program you decide on even though you might be doing fixed time AI it does not hurt to still heat detect so paint their tails. If you are inseminating them yourself then watch them closely and don't rush in to do them just because the program says to, delay as much as you dare.
Ken

Diana I only synch them in small batches of about 5 as I my hands pack it in after that many. I use the standard protocol in the cidr manual of heat detecting at 48hrs after cidr removal and those standing get inseminated but instead of doing them then I keep a close eye on them and will usually do them after lunch or later if they are still active. Heifers I will usually do late morning. The ones I give Ciderol to get the same deal but sometimes they start mounting an hour or so later and I will usually do those late that evening, if they are still on the next morning I will do them again.
Having only small numbers to do I have them out the back of the house and can check with binoculars and easily run them in when needed. I get a bit excited when I get up of a morning and find them jumping all over each other, it gets hard to hold off doing them but John from United Cattle Breeders always tells me don't call the firebrigade. I always do my treatments around 6.00am so that I have max daylight hours on the 3rd day.
I love breeding them and it usually stretches out over a month but all too soon it is over until next year. Oh well I have the semen catalogues to study until next year.
Ken
Ken

Latest posts