swollen udders

Help Support CattleToday:

NCSU Maverick

Reaction score
We've had at least 3 or 4 calves (out of about 100) develop swollen udders or swollen teats. We've seen it on steers and heifers. Calves are 4 and 5 weights and are still on cows. Any ideas what may be causing this? Some type of bacterial infection?

Your steers have swollen udders too? Check for conjunctivitis of the spinal process

Dairy or beef? I've no clue to be honest. I know in dairy goats, heavy milking lines, the kids can develop little udders at young ages, and so can the males. I guess i'd be checking if the swelling was warm, if the calves have a temperature, if they are unwell in any way to indicate infection. Mastitis? Hope someone else cones along soon with more of an idea!

Not really swollen though, they are just a little more noticeable in goats and dairy as well as Gv's sometimes and NOT steers :shock: :?
I think it is time to call a really good LA vet especially if Hook is right on the money.

These are beef calves and this is not udder development. This is just a noticable swelling. Does not seem to be bothering calves but it is noticable. And, like I said, maybe 4 calves out of a hundred, so not very many. Only noticed in 1 steer so far. Might try to get a picture.

i think you might better try to get a veteranary opinion before you find out its 8 and then 12, etc...please keep us informed, would like to see photos!