swollen joints on heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

tallarook

Reaction score
I wrote some time ago about founder in a young heifer. Our vet diagnosed her,but,,,,, She has been off the barley for 5-6 weeks has been given only hay, the swelling in her legs has gone down to almost normal in only 2 of her legs, the others remain swollen although not as bad as previously. She lays down alot and quite often is seen on her knees. We hosed her legs and gave her anti inflams, had a course of antibiotics to cover if an infection. We are at the present giving her foot baths daily in a solution of copper sulphate to see if it is a hoof fungus. Has anyone any other ideas???
Many thanks

Is the swelling in the joints? If so I would say it's navel infection, which takes a while to heal. A case I had was finally cured with Micotil. But if you use Micotil be darn careful that you don't prick yourself, as it can be fatal to humans. Is it in the front legs or back? If front, are legs bowed foreward? Did you spray, or dip the navel at birth? I dip as I think spraying is only doing a 50% job, as your not getting the iodine inside the cord. Keep going with good meds. and as I said it takes a good while to cure. Good Luck.

Roadapple":tynyo4ub said:
Is the swelling in the joints? If so I would say it's navel infection, which takes a while to heal. A case I had was finally cured with Micotil. But if you use Micotil be darn careful that you don't prick yourself, as it can be fatal to humans. Is it in the front legs or back? If front, are legs bowed foreward? Did you spray, or dip the navel at birth? I dip as I think spraying is only doing a 50% job, as your not getting the iodine inside the cord. Keep going with good meds. and as I said it takes a good while to cure. Good Luck.

Not related directly, but for dipping navels we now use a teat dip cup. It has the reservoir at the bottom that you squeeze to get the iodine into the cup. It's angled a little so it makes it a whole lot easier.
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... b0d0204ae5

dun

Swelling in fetlock joint in near side front & off side rear. She was swollen right to the knee on all legs at one stage. Heifer is 12 months old.
Many thanks

Sorry about your heifer - at 12 months of age, probably not NAVAL ILL (not naval infection - there is a difference).
Dun, we also use a teat dip cup. Ours is solid, with hole on the "side" of the top. Kind of looks like you took a small cup and set it sideways on a long cup. Doesn't make sense, but it's standard teat dip cup & works great.

Latest posts