Switching Calving Seasons (advice appreciated)

Help Support CattleToday:

Devin

Reaction score
The last few years I have been trying to reach a goal of only feeding hay for @30-45days per year during a western KY winter. I haven't reached my goal yet, but I have been making good progress. My current herd calves in September and October and the bull is turned out on NOV 15. These cows have calves on them until spring. I am thinking of selling this herd and just starting over and improving my quality of cows in the process as well as switching to a different calving season. I am thinking around the beginning to middle of March with bull turn out in May. My calves could be shipped in the fall and the dry cows would be on the same rotational system that my fall cows are currently on with stockpiled fescue. I know my grass would last longer and it would be easier to move the cows w/o the calves. My current set up requires me to trailer the cows to four different farms to use all of my stock piled fescue. This is still cheaper and takes less time than harvesting the last cutting of hay off of those farms. I am just thinking about it, we haven't had a spring calver on the place in years and I was wondering if you all think it is a stupid idea or if it would be an improvement over my current situation.

I'm sure there will be several old hands here who have much more experience than I on this subject but here's a couple of things to think about.

In my area of Texas the market is down going into Winter - typically. So having 6 weights ready for market at that time might not be the best option. JMO. On the other side, selling in the Spring means the momma will be nursing all Winter, just when she is maybe not getting all the nourishment she needs. Personally, I would like to calve in the Fall so the claves are ready for market in mid to late Spring. That means I have to feed like heck over Winter and sometimes that's just not possible. Last year was good for feed, this year sucks and I haven't been able to cut a single bale of hay. Also last year prices were good, this year - well, everyone knows about that.

Like you, I would like to read other opinions on this subject.

This has been discussed here before and it pretty much boils down to whatever works for you. If you supplement, it does cost more to run a lactating cow through the winter. On the other hand, calf prices at the sale barn are historically lowest in October when lots of spring born calves are sold.

Frankie":2zt41bvb said:
This has been discussed here before and it pretty much boils down to whatever works for you. If you supplement, it does cost more to run a lactating cow through the winter. On the other hand, calf prices at the sale barn are historically lowest in October when lots of spring born calves are sold.

Hmmmm...... I wean mine around thanksgiving, and then I sell just a few of the larger yearlings then, and keep the rest over the winter in another location and sell them through the spring when I want to (or get around toit)

Latest posts