switchgrass question

Help Support CattleToday:

Chris H

Reaction score
We planted our switchgrass in 2001. We've been grazing it under MIG since 2002. Applied herbicide & N the last 2 years and now have a nice thick stand.
The problem now: We didn't get it burned off this spring so now the new growth is about 18" mixed in with the dead stuff still standing from last fall. The dead stuff is about 30" tall. Our previous experience is the cows can not effeciently graze the field with the dead stuff. They will pick & choose, leaving a lot to go to seed and ruining a second and third grazing this summer.
Will this work? We've been thinking about using a forage harvester to either green chop and feed immediately or cut first and let it dry enough to store as hay, but again use the forage harvester to chop it and blow it into the barn or under cover. Our reasoning is chopping it will mix the old stuff with the fresh growth and force the cattle to eat it all. We would supplement it with some corn and protein.

Pros:
If chopping it will work, that field will be in great shape for the cows to graze in July & August. It would also make better use of currently available forage, including making hay from some other acreage by making the switchgrass go further.

Cons:
We're not sure how palatable a mixture of new growth/old growth switchgrass will be. We're sure it will be low in TDN & protein, easily solved by feeding some grain & protein. But if the cows won't eat it at all then it will be a big waste of time and money to chop it.

So, do you think they'll eat it?

Angus/Brangus":brx9kljj said:
Is the old stuff now real stiff stalks or is it pliable? It sounds like maybe you should just mow it and let the new growth emerge. And then graze or bale it when tall enough.

Old stuff is about like fescue seed stems, a bit softer than wheat straw. If we just mow it at this time and let it lay then we'll lose about 18" of new growth already there, plus I don't think the switchgrass will regrow well with all the old and new growth left to lay on top. I'm thinking if we don't use a chopper then we should round bale it and let the cattle pick out what they want and sleep on the rest. With the prospect of a hay shortage we'd rather get them to eat it, if possible.

My first choice- Let them graze it heavy now. They should trample the old down. You could then go over it with a mower to clean it up.
Second choice- mow it now. will make good organic material for the soil.
Third - cut it for hay. Its going to be low quality, But better than nothing.

If there is a hay shortage, I think cutting it and chopping it is a good idea. We have run into that with CRP hay, same thing, with last years growth in it. Chopped or ground works OK. With a little protein, vit, min, supplement dry cows do OK.

Latest posts