swing gaps and high water

Help Support CattleToday:

Well - a couple of things come to mind. If you mean, would the boat winch hold up your swing gate/water gap/apparatus, I'd think you could build something that would work that weighs considerably less than 1600 lbs. If you mean would it hold together if the thing gets clogged with water, trash, brush and whaterver else is headed downstream - no.

I'm not completely sure I understand your idea here. Are you're thinking about building a traditional swinging gate that the water pushes out as it rises, adding a winch to it to elevate the cable (and gate) up and out of the way in case of really deep water? I guess that would work, but couldn't you just install the cable higher from the start - with a deeper gate to compensate - and avoid having to come out every time it rained big (or threatened to, especially in the middle of the night)?? Besides, if you raise the cable from one side only, the gate will no longer be centered over the gully/creek/ravine bottem and when the water recedes, the cattle may have a way out just like if the whole shebang went downstream. I think you'll be happier with something a little more traditional (and tested) like Craig and several posters have talked about earlier.

sidney411":ppy5tnx5 said:
There's nothing you can do to stop hooligan's from cutting fences, if they are determined to cut them.

There's things ya can do alright. Just depends on what ya be willin to do and how isolated ya be ;-)

Craig-TX":cknge3qe said:
sidney411":cknge3qe said:
There's nothing you can do to stop hooligan's from cutting fences, if they are determined to cut them. We have had problems with horseback hog hunters coming through and cutting fences. We usually don't find it till the cattle are out then we have to go find them.

Not sure I could resist shooting something besides hogs for that.

Craig-TX
I kinda think like Craig and Rookie.
In the old days it was short ropes and high limbs.
I have always been kind of old fashioned.

Stretched it back yesterday with the jeep winch. gonna just reattach it the the trees on each side. It's held for the last 8 months so that's not so bad. I think I just did not have it secured enough where it came loose. There's always something happening to keep boredom down. Thanks to all.

Rookie, Ryder,Craig,

I'm right there with ya on those thoughts, but we got too many neighbors in ear shot and too many old nosey geezers around the country side that I couldn't get away with wiping my butt without somebody talking about it the next morning in the coffee shop :lol: Too many people around are already suspicious of all the dogs that come up missing 8) Dogs, I didn't see no dogs! :shock:

sidney411":31dmk4ol said:
Rookie, Ryder,Craig,

I'm right there with ya on those thoughts, but we got too many neighbors in ear shot and too many old nosey geezers around the country side that I couldn't get away with wiping my butt without somebody talking about it the next morning in the coffee shop :lol: Too many people around are already suspicious of all the dogs that come up missing 8) Dogs, I didn't see no dogs! :shock:
I understand. Very frustrating the way the system works these days.
We will just have to sit down and have a creme soda and try to figure this out.

I'm sure Craig and Rookie like what we drink.

Hey Ryder - Have you tried the fake creme soda from HEB? I tried it and it's not as good as the origional but better then other choices of soda. I have specific gas stations I have to stop at to get my creme soda, they don't all carry it. If I run outa gas and have to go to a station that doesn't have it I'm PO'ed :mad:

sidney411":bdvsfmgr said:
Hey Ryder - Have you tried the fake creme soda from HEB? I tried it and it's not as good as the origional but better then other choices of soda. I have specific gas stations I have to stop at to get my creme soda, they don't all carry it. If I run outa gas and have to go to a station that doesn't have it I'm PO'ed :mad:
Haven't seen it yet.
Fake creme soda? What's the country coming to? I mean with Britney getting pregnant and all---what next?? :stop:

sidney411":1tm0p7xf said:
Too many people around are already suspicious of all the dogs that come up missing 8) Dogs, I didn't see no dogs! :shock:

:D :D :D Roger that sidney. I be highly suspected myself :D :D :D

I just finished building a high-tensile 5-strand electric fence and had to cross a creek that floods and usually contains a lot of debris during heavy floods.
I decided to run 1 strand of 12 guage high enough to be above the max flood level and then tied off electric fence rope every 6-8 inches to dangle down like a curtain. I figured it's visible enough for the cattle, will still shock them and will not impede the flood.
The nice part is the span is very irregular in height, so I could cut each rope piece to fit the terrain.

We'll see how this works, we let the girls out on it today for the first time!

Diane

Latest posts