Swelling after banding???

Help Support CattleToday:

Steve Banks

Reaction score
It's the weekend and hard to get a Vet.
I have a 540# calf that has swelled and seems to be getting worse, is there any Meds/RX that I could give him to help with infection??? His sack is gone.
I've banded a lot of calves and have not had any problems!
I hope it is not a retained testy!!!! I try to be extra careful.

How old was the calf when you banded him? We band and so does everyone we know and the only time I've heard of problems occurring is when they are banded late, i.e. 3-400 lbs. I'm not a vet, but I would try a shot of penicillin reading the label for dosage. That will probably get you through the weekend, but if it gets worse by all means get a vet out any way you can.

TheBullLady":3s2pm698 said:
A shot of Banamine would help as well. LA 200 for the infection would be my choice.
What does Banamine do? I just gave it a shot of La 200. I banded this calf 33 days ago. I usually wait until I wean, which is between 5 and 6 months, it seems to be easier for me doing it in the shoot. I give triangle 9 and a tetanus shot at this time. then I follow up with a booster of each. I've never had this kind of swelling before!

Steve Banks":vkczl2mm said:
TheBullLady":vkczl2mm said:
A shot of Banamine would help as well. LA 200 for the infection would be my choice.
What does Banamine do? I just gave it a shot of La 200. I banded this calf 33 days ago. I usually wait until I wean, which is between 5 and 6 months, it seems to be easier for me doing it in the shoot. I give triangle 9 and a tetanus shot at this time. then I follow up with a booster of each. I've never had this kind of swelling before!

Banamine is an anti-inflammatory/pain reliever.

msscamp":1him44tm said:
Steve Banks":1him44tm said:
TheBullLady":1him44tm said:

Banamine is an anti-inflammatory/pain reliever.
Do you have to get Banamine from the Vet.?