Sweet Sixteen

Help Support CattleToday:

sim.-ang.king":3bu29o43 said:
I have a Belgium made sweet sixteen, plus a WW2 STL 20ga. My dad has a 60's 12ga. My grandpa had a Belgian 12ga he picked up at the FN factory itself.

Here's my latest Browning to add to the collection. Citori White Lightning 20 ga 26"

To tell the truth I have only ever shot a 12 ga one time. Shot 3 rounds at some clays, and that was enough to know that the 16 and 20 were better guns. 16 for geese and deer, 20 for everything else.
Nice I bet that Browning is fun I have a Winchester 101 in 20.
Twenty gauge is a good gauge shooting original designed loads.
Problem with Americans they think bigger is better and the bigger the load the better. The shot string is what makes pass shooting so poor by most.
The biggest problem with the 12 gauge is weight reduce the weight then its punishment. It will always be the 800 pound gorilla in the room as most Americans think that have bought bigger and better ballistics along with they can buy cheap crap Ammo at the box stores.
The 28 is sweet Parker introduced it over a hundred years ago. All things being equal in shotgun ballistics no matter the gauge I shoot 16 and 28.
Powder to shot ratio is the same no matter if it is a 410 or a 10 gauge.
It is all about the pattern getting a square load along with a great wad to prevent setback and shot deformation.

The Sweet Sixteen is one that I haven't got in my collection and have always wanted. I've always been a fan of hunting with the 16ga and double barrels so when I had the money I always bought the double over the semi auto. One of my first guns I ever bought was an old SXS Ithaca 16ga. Killed a ton of game with that double and hooked me on the double barrels for life. I've got a safe full of 16ga's from German Drilling to my Browning Citori Lightning 16ga. The Citori was my favorite on the sporting clays. I'd outshoot my buddy's and their 12 ga any day of the week. It fit so well that I never had to look for the bead and shot it instinctive.

One of the best shooters I have is a Baikal SxS 16, Remington marketed it under Spartan for awhile. I bought to be a beat around gun. It's not real pretty

Caustic Burno":s011cgfu said:
sim.-ang.king":s011cgfu said:
I have a Belgium made sweet sixteen, plus a WW2 STL 20ga. My dad has a 60's 12ga. My grandpa had a Belgian 12ga he picked up at the FN factory itself.

Here's my latest Browning to add to the collection. Citori White Lightning 20 ga 26"

To tell the truth I have only ever shot a 12 ga one time. Shot 3 rounds at some clays, and that was enough to know that the 16 and 20 were better guns. 16 for geese and deer, 20 for everything else.
Nice I bet that Browning is fun I have a Winchester 101 in 20.
Twenty gauge is a good gauge shooting original designed loads.
Problem with Americans they think bigger is better and the bigger the load the better. The shot string is what makes pass shooting so poor by most.
The biggest problem with the 12 gauge is weight reduce the weight then its punishment. It will always be the 800 pound gorilla in the room as most Americans think that have bought bigger and better ballistics along with they can buy cheap crap Ammo at the box stores.
The 28 is sweet Parker introduced it over a hundred years ago. All things being equal in shotgun ballistics no matter the gauge I shoot 16 and 28.
Powder to shot ratio is the same no matter if it is a 410 or a 10 gauge.
It is all about the pattern getting a square load along with a great wad to prevent setback and shot deformation.
Been shooting 8 shot super x on quial and dove. Like the low recoil for making second shots.
Actually wish I would of got that gun with a 24" barrel. Use to shoot with a 22" mossberg, that gun was fast and easy to carry 6 hours a day.
Haven't ever owned a 28ga but sure do like the weight of one.
My next shotgun will probably be a 28ga o/u. Might try to find a used supperpose.

Seeing that I haven't shot a shotgun in maybe 10 years I guess I don't need the good ones. But sure looks nice if I can find a used one at 1/2 price.
The cheapest Winchester 21 16ga on gunbroker right now is $7,999.00 and it's used.

kenny thomas":21gnirk4 said:
Seeing that I haven't shot a shotgun in maybe 10 years I guess I don't need the good ones. But sure looks nice if I can find a used one at 1/2 price.
The cheapest Winchester 21 16ga on gunbroker right now is $7,999.00 and it's used.

Uncle had one that I got to shoot.
He died in the 60's and his daughter has it over the mantle. I am surprised it isn't rusted out from me drooling over it everytime I go over.

kenny thomas":eegzbz1v said:
You might take a look for some used Berettas. They are pretty nice guns, I was tempted to buy a used 12ga Beretta Silver Pigeon, but I needed a quail gun.

Caustic Burno":2g27by5s said:
kenny thomas":2g27by5s said:
Dumb question but I don't know so here goes, did anyone ever make a 16ga over under?

There easier to find than a SXS the
only ones I know in current production is Stoger and CZ
Oh i have side by side in 16 in both a Savage 311 and a Winchester 24. Just the,21 still is,on my list.

Kenny I liked the Savage I haven't seen
a 24 in a long time were not a lot made. My running buddy taunts me with his 97 in 16 its in very good shape.
I will be glad and pray I get cleared to shoot mine again.
Dr won't let me shoot anything with over 10 pounds recoil that has relegated me to my 28. That is one of the reasons I was interested in the new A5.

I'm glad to see them bring it back. The sweet 16 is the best shotgun ever.
I have a few of the Belgium ones though. I prol won't buy a new one but if they would offer it in a parkerized finished with synanthic stock I might have to have one for duck hunting with steel shot in the woods. Course I don't duck hunt anymore but can't ever be to prepared.

kenny thomas":1m1ctbnd said:
Dumb question but I don't know so here goes, did anyone ever make a 16ga over under?

I don't know about new production but I own a couple O/U doubles. One being a Browning Citori Lightning Model in 16 ga, one being a Savage O/U 16ga and the other being a old H&R O/U 16ga. A 16ga side by side is a lot more common than any over/under. Good luck if your looking for an over/under in 16ga.

rla442":2vd83wxy said:
kenny thomas":2vd83wxy said:

I don't know about new production but I own a couple O/U doubles. One being a Browning Citori Lightning Model in 16 ga, one being a Savage O/U 16ga and the other being a old H&R O/U 16ga. A 16ga side by side is a lot more common than any over/under. Good luck if your looking for an over/under in 16ga.
Other than Browning.
I think CZ makes one and Stoger used to. Tristar still makes a over and under it's a gun out of Turkey

CZ discontinued 16 ga in 2015, still some laying around in a dark corner of a Bass Pro Shop I bet. :lol:
With further investigation it appears Stoeger has also.
TriStar has one for $640.00, but has an Aluminum receiver, as long as your not shooting 1000's of clays, aluminums alright.

I think the 16ga would of had a better fighting chance if they would of made a magnum 3" version.
Not that they needed to, it is fine as is, but it would drawed in more of the "more shell, more better" crowd.