Sweet Pro Blocks

Help Support CattleToday:

Jacob

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has used any of the SweetPro Blocks. We have been using them for the last few years and really like them and have recently become a distibuter for the product.

I haven't yet but I"ve been looking into it. Any suggestions on which block to use? I've got cows due 1st of March and Calves that'll sell 1st week of January.
Thanks
Also could you tell me rough prices and how long it'll last, thanks

Jacob":7i4g3cg1 said:
I was wondering if anyone has used any of the SweetPro Blocks. We have been using them for the last few years and really like them and have recently become a distibuter for the product.
As long as the quality is there, the formula is "fixed" and the price is right, they should be as good as any of the others. Having a dealer in the neighborhood helps too especially if he has "free delivery". ;-)

It's a ddg product and getting the reps to say that out loud is not easy in my experience. Especially the first couple years they were marketing here. A lot of producers here had a hard time wrapping their heads around ddg in general.
I've bought a few of the blocks. They seemed to work as a suppliment as described but I don't use them long enough to form an opinion on feed effiencency as they claim. Or to form an opinion on breed back percentages over other Forms of suppliment. The fella I was buying from couldn't seem to give me a straight answer either as far as his breed back increase over other forms of suppliment.
My personal conclusion is that any suppliment that meets your needs as far as time, wallet, and keeps your animals in good condition is the one to use. There isn't one product out there that will suit everyone's needs all the time.

I've been approved to be a dealer, but I haven't brought in any inventory as I think the market is pretty limited at this time - hay quality in the drought is good.

My suggestion is have your feed tested and only buy them when you protein levels are basically at nothing. Even then, you can definitely source cheaper protein in the form of bulk grain, etc.

It's a lazy man's way of feeding protein. It's expensive, but I also hate hauling pails of grain for cows to boost protein.

I should also add, the margins for the dealer are lousy, so that's why I'm not stocking up. I think they told me dealer price was $74 US in Walhalla, ND and retail at the place I was buying from was $83. For the size and freight I would have on them (~220 miles one way), I told them I needed a $20-25 margin per tub.

We use the 16 for younger cattle and 18 for the older cows. We want them to eat a pound a day so if they eat to much we go to the higher number block. Our cows are doing great on them.

They sure make a lot of different ones.
Hook--it sez right on their brochures and webpage that they are a ddg product--don't know why a distributor would have a problem telling you that. I've seen 'em for sale here locally, but haven't tried one yet. Cost is around $80. My concern was the labeling warning not to let them overeat on them due to possible excessive copper intake.
SweetPro blocks use Condensed Distillers Solubles

A couple of older threads on Sweet Pro:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=73541
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=67725

And a study--TexasBred has some good input in mineral supplement type threads as always:

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ansci/beef/as1287w.htm

Looks and sounds like a good product from what i've found. I agree it would be cheaper to buy a different form protein/energy source (ddgs ect.) and supplement the main minerals but this works better for my situation. I ordered my first 2000 lbs, put the tubs out on the 28th. We'll see how they do.

Latest posts