sweet corn

Help Support CattleToday:

jp4ever

Reaction score
i cut about 2acres of sweet corn, some with corn still on. what is the feed value of sweet corn? lots of comments on baled field corn stalks, would sweet corn stalks be about the same? this is not my only source of feed just a way to try to save abuck. TIA.

I don't know feed value of sweet corn , back when we were growing sweet corn we chopped it for silage and it fed good . The only thing you will want to know what insecticide was used (if any) and when the last spray was applied . Most sprays will allow you to pick the corn in 1-3 days after spraying but will make you wait up to 2 weeks to use the whole plant . Check on the label.

thanks shorty. we only have 2 steers, 1 for eating this year 1 for next year. hay crop in central ohio really sucked my pasture also is pretty bad. i hadnt thought about the spray but doubt any was used,(not my corn) ive heard to much green corn can lead to nitrogen poisoning, or bloating. next came the question of storage, i dont have a chopper, all was cut by hand so i tried 3 different methods 1) plastic on ground covered with tarp as airtight as i could get it. 2) on the ground in full sun 3) under shade tree no cover. results after a week or so covered (1) bad idea, moldy (2) not bad but turning brown fast (3) the best but still getting brown, the cows sure do like it though just my .02

Latest posts