Swayback issues

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to by a 4 year old registered red angus cow/calf pair for about 60-70% of what a same age nice straight topline one is going for around here. Unfortunately she has a pronounced sway in front of her tailhead. Her calf is 3 weeks old and doing fine. I saw the last calf she raised and thought she did a good job. Would anyone like to comment (as if I really needed to ask that) on what they think the issues are with sway backs. Don't sways normally get worse with age? How does it affect their breeding and calving performance over the years? How strong is the genetic inheritability? Etc. etc, etc,.

dcara":2cvg900w said:
I have an opportunity to by a 4 year old registered red angus cow/calf pair for about 60-70% of what a same age nice straight topline one is going for around here.

And that means the price is .... ???

Unfortunately she has a pronounced sway in front of her tailhead.

Pics please.

Her calf is 3 weeks old and doing fine. I saw the last calf she raised and thought she did a good job.

What do calves go for in your area with respect to the breed you are discussing?

Would anyone like to comment (as if I really needed to ask that) on what they think the issues are with sway backs.

Genetics tend to be passed on - if you plan to never keep one of the offspring I would figure it to be your money and your chance.

If you are looking to possibly keep one of the calves if it is a heifer - then you are perpetuating - or at least taking the chance of perpetuating the fault in the animal.

If this is one of your first animals you may very well fall in love with it - and that becomes the problem. Folks that do this as a hobby often take the romantic view and forget these animals are bred for meat. So the cute heifer becomes the ugly cow with the bad back.

Don't sways normally get worse with age?

Hard to say - sometimes yes and sometimes no.

How does it affect their breeding and calving performance over the years?

Hard to say - each animal is different.

How strong is the genetic inheritability?

Very.

Etc. etc, etc,.

If she is healthy and you decide to buy her - will she be healthy next year? What happens if the price drops?

I figure buy quality and be done with it - you might pay for this animal if she raises three successful calves - then again she might die calving out next year - play the game - take the chances.

Finally - registered - schmeregistered - means nothing if the animal has a fault - no better than a poor commercial cow in my opinion.

Good luck on whatever you decide - but I would leave her where she is.

Bez'

Latest posts