Sway Backs

Help Support CattleToday:

Hoser

Reaction score
Why do so many show cattle and popular AI sires have great big sway backs and high tail head? Wouldn't a high tail head cause the pelvis to be tipped up and lead to more calving issues? I thought a strong straight top line would be more desirable. Just wondering if I'm missing something here.

Not missing anything. I show cattle and I definitely would not pick an animal with a sway back. For a while the "swooped up tail head" was popular, but I think it was just a way to cover up a high tail head.
What do you think about Coleman Charlo? His back looks good to me but is his tailhead too high?

Attachments

• ColemanCharlo0256_lg-1.jpg
    ColemanCharlo0256_lg-1.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 43
To me, he has a slight high tail head. But, I would want to see another pic. He could just have his tail cocked up.
Since I am not in the show world, and I want better visual confirmation of what I see and what is "show quality", could you comment on tail head/top line of these two, as I think these are typical examples...

Attachments

• 9DEE567F-21CC-4ED9-9BE1-22245D87FDC0.png
    9DEE567F-21CC-4ED9-9BE1-22245D87FDC0.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 74
  • 783E0693-76D3-42DE-99B9-2F78C52EEAEE.png
    783E0693-76D3-42DE-99B9-2F78C52EEAEE.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 77
Both have good toplines and tailheads. The older bull appears to be a longer bodied bull, but young bulls tend to look a little shorter coupled. Love the young bulls' looks (as much as I can see). What you cannot see is how they walk. I buy a lot of semen on bulls I have never seen, but I tend to rely on people I trust that have seen the bull or his offspring. No matter how pretty they are - structure is number ONE.

Be careful reading to much into a photograph. My cattle don't spend much time with anyone holding a flag on a stick trying to get them to look upward for a photo ;-)

I've asked the stud company I work with to start publishing videos for all their sires. Not a perfect solution, but not everyone can see sires in person.

Be careful reading to much into a photograph. My cattle don't spend much time with anyone holding a flag on a stick trying to get them to look upward for a photo ;-)
I've asked the stud company I work with to start publishing videos for all their sires. Not a perfect solution, but not everyone can see sires in person.
I appreciate those AI companies and bull owners who provide "on the move" videos-especially when they don't have 6" of straw to wade through😉. I will never see any of the bulls I consider for AI use live, I'm sure. I appreciate the owners who will respond to questions about their animals, also.

Why do so many show cattle and popular AI sires have great big sway backs and high tail head? Wouldn't a high tail head cause the pelvis to be tipped up and lead to more calving issues? I thought a strong straight top line would be more desirable. Just wondering if I'm missing something here.
They don't get enough exercise.

The whole sway back trend drives me absolutely nuts, its as bad as the show guys wanting their cows so squishy footed that their dewclaws touch the ground when they walk.

I hate these things, but also realize that ultimately I'll never be competitive in the ring because of it.

No, just real world experience of watching the difference between what a feed bucket bull looks like and a bull who travels 2-3 miles everyday. Now there are more than one reason why you get swaybacks. Genetics: Longer cattle
Nutrition: Self explanatory

Justin - I can't say that I've seen a judge use "squishy footed" cattle. They would have to be sickle hocked to place their dew claws on the ground - like a lot of Herefords. Sway back & poor angle foot is definitely a bad trait - even in the show ring under most judges. (good ones)

I don't understand the high head concept-that's the last thing I want in my herd! Plus it naturally bows the top line and raises the tail head-no way to see what the animal really looks like. I want to see base width too-profile can be great, narrow as a rail (I had one-he tasted good)

Tail head not so much to do with calving problems as angle of hooks too pin bone..

Latest posts