One Last Sway-backed Debate

Help Support CattleToday:

I wasn't saying that you should go out and buy structurally unsound cows, although I have seen some go so cheap through the barn that it can be worth the risk sometimes.

dun":3ta3824a said:
You mean like this?
Over a few years time
View attachment 1
With last years calf when she was 18 years old
You sart off with a straight back you end up with a cow that can still produce at 18.
Start off with sway back, they are soup bone before that.
Poor conformation is probably going to be traced back to the spine. A spine that is not straight usually gets progressively worse with age. That will put pressure on the disks and nerves which will effect the foraging ability of the cow. A lot of those nerves that go through the spine go to the legs.
Those cattle that have good loin usually have good conformation. Those cattle that have good loin also usually have good muscling all over. This is why rib eye measurements are taken to give a general over all prediction of muscle.
Feel free to correct me on this as it is only my common sense approach on the subject.
I appreciate the pic Dun. I would defenitly accept that back on an 18 yr. old.

brandonm_13":k9w3ztud said:
Cartilage between bones also reduces with age, making it harder to get around and forage.
I agree. What I would want is an equal wear on that cartilage. With a straight back that will happen. With a sway back the wear would increase as it would push the spinal segments closer together at the top and further apart on the bottom. This extra pressure at the top would cause premature wear in that area thus lessen the foraging ability at a younger age.

novatech":1awm8sgz said:
I would defenitly accept that back on an 18 yr. old.

And her feet are still as good as when she was a calf. Her runty little calf last yeared weaned @ 613

Tre. Although that is the same time some start feeding more, although they are usually about a month early in doing so and don't do much but make the cow fat, the calf bigger, and birthing harder.

brandonm_13":36r2guvr said:
Tre. Although that is the same time some start feeding more, although they are usually about a month early in doing so and don't do much but make the cow fat, the calf bigger, and birthing harder.
a calf during the last trimester will get his fair share from the moma regardless, if you feed her up or not. "i dont" it will starve a cow too death..

Well the calf may get his share, but he will get more than his share if the cow is fed too much. her nutritional requirements don't go up that much, not compared to the lactation period. You can still deliver minerals she needs without making her fat, and her calf bigger.

brandonm_13":1os2p14w said:
Well the calf may get his share, but he will get more than his share if the cow is fed too much. her nutritional requirements don't go up that much, not compared to the lactation period. You can still deliver minerals she needs without making her fat, and her calf bigger.
unless you go to some kinda extremes, the calf is protected from nutritonal changes in the cows diet.

alacattleman":l36wbpxz said:
brandonm_13":l36wbpxz said:
unless you go to some kinda extremes, the calf is protected from nutritonal changes in the cows diet.
BUT, there is alwasy a but involved, if the cows nutritional plane is inadequate or just barely adequate you run the risk of calving problems, poor quality colostrum, poor milk production, stressed calf, and a bunch of others problems.

dun":2yr1eu0q said:
alacattleman":2yr1eu0q said:
brandonm_13":2yr1eu0q said:
BUT, there is alwasy a but involved, if the cows nutritional plane is inadequate or just barely adequate you run the risk of calving problems, poor quality colostrum, poor milk production, stressed calf, and a bunch of others problems.
well sure thats a given, i like a spring calving season.. i don't want too throw my profit " should they be any" into feeding a pregnent cow up too be in a breedable body condition score.before or after she calves, she needs if possible to get back there on grass and mineral's

alacattleman":1zpvg91a said:
i don't want too throw my profit " should they be any" into feeding a pregnent cow up too be in a breedable body condition score.before or after she calves
At a seminar a couple of years ago put on by the U of MO they claimed it took 4 times as long to put condition on as it does for it to come off. It's also cheaper to keep condition then put it back

dun":29uh8bat said:
alacattleman":29uh8bat said:
i don't want too throw my profit " should they be any" into feeding a pregnent cow up too be in a breedable body condition score.before or after she calves
At a seminar a couple of years ago put on by the U of MO they claimed it took 4 times as long to put condition on as it does for it to come off. It's also cheaper to keep condition then put it back
i believe that. and might be longer on some breeds.... if you let em get around a 4 or below you''r in trouble

Latest posts