Sustainable agriculture/ livestock production

Help Support CattleToday:

AngusSenorita

Reaction score
I hardly ever post here anymore because I am done showing and I am now in college. But now I am seriously considering changing my major from An Sci major Edu minor to sustainable agriculture - only problem is that my school doesn't offer that degree; from what I have seen only northern US schools do, which means it would cost a lot.

So I am asking if y'all know anyone who works in sustainable agriculture or if you know of any schools that offer a degree plan. So far the only states I have found that offer it are Iowa, Maine, Hawaii, Vermont, and New York, which would be cool, but expensive, cause flying - expensive, out of state tuition - expensive

any input is greatly appreciated

AngusSenorita":2g9hbzgh said:
I hardly ever post here anymore because I am done showing and I am now in college. But now I am seriously considering changing my major from An Sci major Edu minor to sustainable agriculture - only problem is that my school doesn't offer that degree; from what I have seen only northern US schools do, which means it would cost a lot.

So I am asking if y'all know anyone who works in sustainable agriculture or if you know of any schools that offer a degree plan. So far the only states I have found that offer it are Iowa, Maine, Hawaii, Vermont, and New York, which would be cool, but expensive, cause flying - expensive, out of state tuition - expensive

any input is greatly appreciated

You might try the Kerr Center. They have a lot of seminars on sustainable agricluture. They also publish a newsletter and it is available on line. Here is their website: http://www.kerrcenter.com/about.htm

I would not recommend a change in school or major to persue an interest in sustainable agriculture.

Sustaianable agriculture is a concept and not a discipline.

A sound agricultural background in any area will have application to future pursuits in sustainability.

Get a degree in something you love and can make a living in. If you still have a drive for sustainability, then pick out a need and do post graduate work with an application to sustainability.

After graduation the area of your degree does not make that much difference. It is a measure of your ability and drive and determination more so than your ability to regurgitate the last four years.

I had a degree in animal Science in a state that had a totally seperate dairy science program at our land grant university. Yet I worked for over twenty years in dairy sales and marketing.

pdfangus is right-- I have an Ag degree and thru the years people could care less what specifically it was- it just mattered that i had an ag degree.