Sustain III Cattle/Calf boluses

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea why Sustain III Cattle & Calf boluses are on manufacture back order? I've checked every website I can think of and all of them state "long term" or "indefinite". Checked some of the manufacture websites (Durvet, Bimeda) and can't find any explanation. Called my vet and the office manager has no idea; they don't have any in stock and their order was placed months ago. Searched sulfamethazine and still came up with nothing. ????

TCRanch":190vjbcb said:
Anyone have an idea why Sustain III Cattle & Calf boluses are on manufacture back order? I've checked every website I can think of and all of them state "long term" or "indefinite". Checked some of the manufacture websites (Durvet, Bimeda) and can't find any explanation. Called my vet and the office manager has no idea; they don't have any in stock and their order was placed months ago. Searched sulfamethazine and still came up with nothing. ????

Mayslick Mill is out. So is my southern states store. I got a substitute. By duvet called Calf Scour Bolus. It contains oxytetracline HCL.

Just a guess, but maybe they are in demand this time of year. I like to have some on hand just in case, and have noticed that sometimes in years past they have been hard to find. I have used the Terramycin ( sorry no idea how to spell it ) pills in the past and it worked ok, just required more times of giving pills than the Sustain III.

I used to have some of these and I believe Orscheln & one of the local Co-ops still carries them. Main drawback is you have to re-administer every 12 hours up to 4 days as opposed to 1 dose of Sustain that lasts 3 days. Which means I have to (attempt to) catch a calf multiple times or (attempt to) bring it & mama down to the barn & keep 'em hostage. Optimistic I won't even need them because the First Defense has essentially eliminated scouring calves but I hate not being prepared.

TCRanch":1pwduuo8 said:
I used to have some of these and I believe Orscheln & one of the local Co-ops still carries them. Main drawback is you have to re-administer every 12 hours up to 4 days as opposed to 1 dose of Sustain that lasts 3 days. Which means I have to (attempt to) catch a calf multiple times or (attempt to) bring it & mama down to the barn & keep 'em hostage. Optimistic I won't even need them because the First Defense has essentially eliminated scouring calves but I hate not being prepared.

Exactly. I much prefer Sustain III. Like you, I used First Defense so I got the Oxytetracline HCL Boluses just to be prepared.

used to have a 5 day sulfur pill, but for some reason they outlawed those. they don't want sulfur in the tissues & it takes a long time to get out of the body. wouldn't surprise me if they quit them altogether

jerry27150":og6lu1iq said:
used to have a 5 day sulfur pill, but for some reason they outlawed those. they don't want sulfur in the tissues & it takes a long time to get out of the body. wouldn't surprise me if they quit them altogether
Ohhh. Thanks for the not-so-good info. Withdrawal period is minimum 12 days but I have read that more than 2 consecutive doses can result in tissue residue. I also read that including SMZ in feed falls under the VFG so your hunch may be right. Darn shame because it's the easiest (IMO best) way to treat scours in calves along with electrolytes.

Latest posts